Removing video by request of creators

(Alena Rybik) #1

I would like to hear your opinion on the following situation. A member of my community has posted a YouTube video by another member of the community. The video has sparked a lively and valuable discussion with some important information being shared in in the thread. Now the author of the video has contacted one of my moderators asking to remove it, because he didn’t want to create fuss (unfortunately, he has had a not very pleasant experience with some community members in the past). The video has been posted by the creator as public under Standard YouTube license, which says:

You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.

What are your thoughts on this?

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

So he wants you to remove it from the forum, but he doesn’t want to remove it from youtube?

If that’s the case, no, don’t bother. He made something public, he keeps it public, therefore it is discussable in public.

(Priscilla McClay) #3

I agree that you don’t need to take it down, but I would also try to write the message in such a way as to make him feel more positive about it staying up - if he’s had bad experiences in the past then you want to make him feel reassured and valued.

Perhaps emphasise how great the video was, and how valuable the discussion was - say that other members have got a lot out of it and really appreciate his contribution.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #4

Yes, sorry I should’ve mentioned this :slightly_smiling:

(Alena Rybik) #5

Many thanks @Bas_van_Leeuwen and @Priscilla, I was leaning towards the same approach but wanted the reassurance and was a bit concerned about copyright issues.

(Anton) #6

@alenarybik, as soon as they remove the video from YouTube, your license will terminate. But you don’t have to bother about it either: once the video is removed from YouTube, it will be automatically removed from your forum (the embedded video won’t play anymore).