Remedial Questions

challenges

(Piper_Wilson) #1

Hey folks,

Long time no see. This question feels awfully basic, but I haven’t been able to put my finger on it.

What is an online community to you? I’ve seen the definitions of shared goals and values and such, but I’m looking for a deeper understanding. Maybe more of an emotional, for lack of a better word, one.

As an extension of that, what would you say some good social skills are on the internet? In real time, we have body language, tone, and other cues that aren’t available via online interactions. The first thing I can think of is not SHOUTING, but there’ve got to be more.

When I searched for stuff, all I found was research that talked about how the internet was negatively affecting people’s social skills.

Sorry if these are vague. I reckon I’m in a vague state of mind.

Cheers!

(Richard Millington) #2

Hey @Piper_Wilson,

Bit of a tougher question this. My interpretation was here: https://www.feverbee.com/what/ & here: https://www.feverbee.com/the-3-different-definitions-of-community/.

I could ramble on about what skills are required for a long time, but I’d love someone else to jump in and give their thoughts.

What’s the broader context of the post?

(Laleh moli) #3

Hey :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

just sharing my thoughts:

• using film quote or related giffy,
  • asking good questions in a conversation as in active listening exercises,
  • be familiar with reasoning and argument (or perhaps logic),

two things about online community is more important to me:

1. it’s entangled with writing,
  2. you have access to more people, as there’s no boundary in online communication unless we make it.

(Piper_Wilson) #4

Oooooh! That resonates so well. Thank you.

@richard_millington - My question isn’t so much about the skills involved in community. It’s more about what makes up a community from the touchy feely side of things. People ask me about what I do. If I mention ROI, metrics, or strategy, their eyes glaze over because they don’t understand.

I’ve grown very organically in this field. A lot of what I think is instinctive and I can’t seem to articulate it.

Does that help?

(Kathleen Ulrich) #5

I have a Linked in Discussion group as well as private groups and I work with industry experts.
Discussions on Linked in were pretty much a nightmare, so I put up some rules that address social skills - sourced to Linked in experts! It really helped. It’s certainly not a touchy feely kind of place, but at least discussions are more civil - there are also fewer, which is not a problem to me! Rules below if you are interested.
DO follow the “Golden Rule” of LinkedIn etiquette - Provide discussion of value to your audience.
DO avoid falling for the “misconception that people care about what you have to say. They don’t. They care about finding solutions to their problems.” - h/t Melonie Dodaro
DO allow others time to respond to posts and comments.
DON’T “hijack” a discussion. “Treat people as you would like to be treated. This doesn’t mean that you can’t get into a deep debate, but keep it on topic and fair. Don’t be afraid to take discussion to private messaging.” - h/t Chemative Group
"DON’T write anything that you do not want out in public." (This includes criticism of individuals and organizations.)
“DON’T use a discussion as your own personal blog.” - h/t Tracy Levine

In my online communities, I’ve made myself an ambassador and I amplify posts that include personal or professional information. I’m new at this tactic, but results seems to be encouraging! I want to add more people in this role.

(Karen Browning) #6

@Piper_Wilson, It sounds like what you’re getting at is the culture of online community or creating a sense of belonging. From what I’ve gleaned in my participation in online communities as a member and a community consultant, that is the central “touchy feely” hub at the center of it all. If you don’t feel like you belong, then it’s not a community (from the individual member’s perspective), it’s merely a website, or an event listing, or a message board…does that makes sense? So someone who logs in once, asks their questions, gets an answer and then never comes back has a much different experience from the member who checks back frequently, recognizes other members and has engaged with them repeatedly, participates by contributing to and following conversations. If I have the first experience, I probably wouldn’t think of it as a community but the second definitely is.

I hope that helps! Also @Kathy, what a great list of participation rules. I like the honesty of them.

(Luis Villa) #7

Those two are golden. Thanks for sharing.

(Piper_Wilson) #8

@richard_millington - Thank you for linking those posts. I’ve read them before but I get something new out of them each time I come across them.

You are so right! Most of the research I’ve found about communities has focused on geographical communities. Online and physical communities certainly share many of the same qualities, but online communities don’t have any physical limitations.

It’s wonderful that you’ve managed to create a safe space without it needing to be touchy feely. In fact, I think that’s perfect. Even though I’m looking for an articulation of touchy feely things, my gut tells me that relying on touchy feely as the foundation of your community isn’t wise.

Beautiful!! Thank you.