Re-engage dormant accounts

(Angelo Luciani) #1

My community has tons of accounts, many are dormant. Any tactics to re-engage those accounts? I was going to send them an email identifying new areas, blog posts, etc.

What have you done in the past to re-engage?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

The key is personalisation. I suspect that you’ll have the most success if you contact them with a specific prompt relating to an area of interest. A general “look at this new content” email is easy to ignore. A personal request to offer an opinion or help someone out in a specific area is more difficult.

It will require a bit of research into their past activity, but that’s not a bad thing in itself – build a database of members’ interests and areas of expertise so that you can help people to connect.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #3

Also, afaik you run a support community, right?
In that case, dormant accounts are expected. What do you hope to achieve by re-engaging? More questions asked, or more questions answered?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #4

I run a support community as well, and we tend to worry that if people aren’t asking questions, they aren’t using the product. We release new features every 2 months, so we don’t have many users that have everything figured out, all the time.

@aluciani - To re-engage members, I’ll often first see if they are active anywhere else. Are they calling? Creating cases? If so, I’ll see what they are contacting us in reference to, and then send them some content that I think they could use. If they aren’t, sometimes I’ll ask them if they are using a certain feature and send them content around how to. If I don’t have features to highlight, I’ll often ask them to chime in on topics in their job role.

If you truly think they don’t have any support needs, then I’ll send them some more friendly posts - introduce yourself, your 2015 achievements, 2016 resolutions, invite to a industry webinar, etc.

And every once in a while, I’ll just send them a private message saying I haven’t seen them in a while and hope everything is going okay - and let them know the community is there if they need us!

(Angelo Luciani) #5

I’m hoping for a couple of things

1. Past members to help browse/answer questions in the forums
  2. Come back to the site and see new material, such as new blogs, etc

(Angelo Luciani) #6

Thanks @Kristen_Gastaldo - all good suggestions