Quick usability question

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Imagine this was part of our homepage.

Do you know what the number beside my name means without having to think too hard?

(zapleahy) #2

Instinctively, I would think it is your total post count (replies and topics)--and that the double 00 is a place holder for show, but "00" does threw me off since there are 4 topics with you attributed as author. If "00" is not a place holder, then I would consider this to be Votes or +1s to your content.

If you don't want to crowd the space with a descriptive icon, showing an infotip on hover would alleviate any confusion.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Thanks Alison, that well and truly answers my question.

It's actually number of comments on that post, but it obviously needs some kind of indicator.

(leahmouse) #4

No, I wouldn't be sure in that context.

(Jessica Malnik) #5

I wouldn't know what the double zeroes mean either.  

(Jessica Crouch) #6

I'm guessing it's the number of comments. But I did have to quickly think about it - bit too much cognitive load there; I shouldn't have to think about that at all. Perhaps an icon or the word 'comments' would help?

(Nick Emmett) #7

Where it's placed is a bit confusing in that case as well. Being next to your name suggests the number relates to you and not to the post. If it was above the line break, and below the post title then people would probably have been guessing closer to the real purpose.

(Liz Crampton) #8

Agree with Nick. I would've thought it was your post count. If it was in a speech bubble/comment icon for example, that would probably be clear.

(Richard Millington) #9

thanks everyone,

Here's a question I'd be keen to get some opinions on.

How often do people use social sharing icons? I can't think of the last time I used one, although I often share material on twitter. 

(Sarah Hawk) #10

I use them a lot, but only in a very specific situation.

When I'm tweeting for a brand and I'm hooking up loads of tweets in Hootsuite, I use the button to save time. I never use it personally.

(Richard Millington) #11

Would it make a big difference if we removed them? 

(Sarah Hawk) #12

To me in this situation, no. I'll carry out some scientific research on Twitter ;) and see whether it's common behaviour.

(Nick Emmett) #13

I use social buttons on blog posts etc if I think the content is share-worthy for sure. Probably wouldn't miss them but I think they're a pretty important part of a blog for example. It just makes it easy to share. Rather than copying the link and going to another website/app to post.

(Richard Millington) #14

Thanks Nick,

Just wondering, the social buttons we currently have will appear on the front page before people have even read the post. I'm just curious to see if anyone uses them...or if there is a simple way of tracking them. 

(Rebecca Braglio) #15

I would also think total # of posts.

My second thought was, that would be odd. Maybe it's like a Klout score or influence score in the community.