Queries we should run (need some ideas)

(Richard Millington) #1

A few of the recent posts by @meglio have inspired me to think about what queries we should be running here.

In a world without any rules/boundaries, what would we love to know about our members that we don’t at the moment?

What would be the dream query you would like to run?

I’m thinking of something we can then plug into an automated rule / option for a community manager here.

Where do you see the industry going?
(Kristen Gastaldo) #2

There’s a better way of saying it, but an easy way to see the number at which people turn the curve from participants to active members would be sweet. I don’t have the ability to pull the data on my current platform, but I used to be able to see a slew of users who would have 1-10 actions, and then the numbers would jump to 100+.

Even when I could see those numbers, it took a bit of work to see a trend in the actions. Do they need to post 1 topic and get 5 replies before they go nuts? Or post 5 questions and get an answer to each? Understanding what moves people to that very active user space - or at least seeing it - would help shape my strategy.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #3

Or, to go simple - for this space it might be nice to see where people are coming from, work wise. I’m not often sure if I’m getting advice from a product community, special interest community, community consultant, etc. You might want to see what % of types of communities/managers are represented in this space.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

The issue there is that we need to collect that data in order to pull it. That does raise an interesting idea though – it is possible to add custom fields on Discourse (when you fill in your Preferences here, the Twitter, G+ and Facebook URLs are custom ones that I added) which we can use for this kind of query.

We can also display that data (beside someone’s username or on their profile card for instance).

Would knowing what type of community someone runs (or has experience running) be useful info for others?

(Nick Emmett) #5

I think it would sure - I’ve actually looked at someone’s profile card this morning to try and establish that - which leads to the potential issue with that in that you’re relying on people to fill in those fields for it be useful. I’d like to see it though if they did fill it in.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Ok, I’ll investigate what’s involved to get that working.

Out of interest, what categories would make sense to you?
I started going down this road and then second guessed myself:

(Madalina Ana) #7

This is good but it might be a bit complicated for people to work with those as they are a bit abstract. I would add something like tags where people can also state the industries they have experience with such as “finance”, “healthcare” etc.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #8

Yeah, I’m not even sure where I’d fall with those options. It’s a community for users of a certain software. We’ve got resources there, but my company now cringes at “customer support” community.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

That’s cool. How would you categorise yourself?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #10

Ah, sorry for delay. We’d probably be customer support community. That’s the closest. Might be worthwhile for something like “product based.” I imagine there are quite a few of us who run communities based around a product, but might not be all support driven.

(Sarah Hawk) #11

All good. :slightly_smiling:

A product based community that isn’t a support community – do you mean something like a fan community? What is the motivation to belong?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #12

You’ve got me. They’re not fans. They’re customers. I’m a support community. Might not want to say it, but we are what we are. The more I think about it and try to describe us - it’s all focused on product or industry best practices. Support community it is.

Stigmas and community
(Sarah Hawk) #13

This is interesting. Do you think there is a stigma attached to support communities?

(Gear Buzz) #14

Support isn’t a four letter word.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Update: If you select a community type in your preferences, it will now display on your profile card.

If I’m missing community types from the list, let me know.