Pros and cons of pre-moderation

(Juan chadarevian) #1

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago we launch a small community of 60 people on Facebook. We run an online workshop and all the members are alumni’s from our programs.

To provide a higher value into the Facebook group we ask them to:

• Not post links of their product or services. We don’t want the group to become an autopromotion place. Instead we told them that they can post everything they want, but we would edit and gather all the promotion links and publish them in one post on fridays.
  • Post every link with a brief contextualization: 1) What they are posting 2) Why they are sharing to the community.
  • Make one post per day, so nobody “takes control” and monopolizes the conversation.

I understand that this things are intend to provide the members higher value in each post, but I am concern about:

• Barriers to participate
  • Repercussion in psychology and sense of community
  • Not be aligned with the stage and objectives in which the community is (just starting as a community on fb)

What do you think about this topic? What would you say are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I think that the first two are important. Self-promo rules are pretty much expected in communities so I don’t think that should come as a surprise to anyone. Having it laid out clearly makes things less awkward.

Context around links is also good. It sets a standard and ensures value, as you say.

The third one is interesting. Are you making assumptions about behaviour that hasn’t happened, or has it been an issue already? I’d consider removing that one unless it becomes necessary.

The effect that guidelines like this have on the psych of the community will come down to how they are communicated. Giving people clear guidelines around expectations before they post is usually positive – they feel like they’re less likely to ‘get it wrong’.

It is likely to be negative if there are too many guidelines (Whoa! All these rules! I’m bound to get something wrong here) or if they aren’t communicated until after they are broken (Oh no, I just got told off. How embarrassing. I won’t come back.)

(Juan chadarevian) #3

Thanks @HAWK.

About your question regarding the number of posts per day. It hasn’t been an issue in this community, but yes in a similar one, also on fb and with this kind of people.

Beyond the guidelines I am also worry because right now, each post pass through an approval process before is public, so if they don’t fit with the above criteria, we ask them to edit their post before we approve it.

What implications do you think this have? Do you suggest to remove this “Approval” process before is public?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I would tend to wait until there is a problem before trying to fix it, so unless you’re getting a large number of posts that DO require action or pre-moderation, I wouldn’t have an approval process.

Is it comments on posts, or just the original posts themselves that are pre-modded? If I made a comment that didn’t show up immediately I’d be much less likely to comment on several posts. If it’s just the OP and you limit people to one per day anyway then that would be less of a barrier.

I’d be interested to hear from others that have used pre-moderation, either successfully or otherwise.