Project Plan Planning

challenges

(Alice May Flather) #1

Hey Experts! My organization has just begun a community platform replacement project and I have been brought on as a Project Manager. While I am versed in PMBOK principles, this is my first community/platform change-out. Does anyone have a project plan they are willing to discuss or even share as a starting point? It would be MUCH appreciated!

Alice May

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey Alice,
This guide from CMX has some useful info around planning a platform selection.

(Darren Gough) #3

Hi @heyamay

Mind if I ask what you’re moving from and to?

(Nancy Morris) #4

Hi Alice May,
I have project management training but am not certified by PMBOK. I have recently been asked (as a volunteer) to migrate a community from one platform to another. I was not a part of the platform selection process unfortunately.

I am in the midst of creating a project plan for the rebuilding of the community however, and would be happy to share and discuss our projects with you if you are interested. I am using the project planning software Asana right now and am about 45% finished with the work breakdown structure.

Best of luck to you on this new venture! I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m reading a lot and hope to be making some good decisions as a new community manager, happy to share what I’m learning as I go.
Nancy

(Alice May Flather) #5

Hi Darren - We are moving off of Jive, and are in the process of vendor selection :slight_smile:

(Alice May Flather) #6

Hi Nancy! Thanks for the note. I would love to pick your brain on what you have developed so far by way of project plan. If you have some time next week to catch up, PM me with your availability and I will set it up :blush:

Have a wonderful weekend!

(Becky Scott) #7

Alice, I don’t have a project plan to share, but I will say that you need to make sure that communications play a big part in your project (as a part of change management). You’ll need to give all of your stakeholders plenty of notice of what’s going on and keep them informed along the way. That’s just one track. There’s also the technical and design tracks to think of. While the platform is a huge piece of moving, it’s the communication that can make it smooth or make you wish you hadn’t done anything! Get those stakeholders on your side as early as possible.

(Nancy Morris) #8

My apologies for my late reply Alice, I’ll PM you some information so you can at least take a look at what I’ve done so far. :slight_smile: