Professional life and private life

(Rebecca Braglio) #1

Curious - for those of you who work in an office or with a team in your company, how close are you with your co-workers?

Do you spend time together outside of the office or do you keep everything strictly to work?

(Mark Baldwin) #2

I like to keep professional and private separate as much as possible, even though I’ve worked with some of my colleagues for many years and we are good friends. We do occasional work do’s and the odd night out, but for the most part I like to keep them separate.

(MHCommMgr) #3

I tend to be way open with coworkers, which I’ve regretted before, but I have trouble NOT doing it (I’ve tried). I don’t tend to socialize much with coworkers outside the office when we’re working together but I do enjoy spending time with them when I’m at work and we do tend to know a lot about each other’s lives. I just think we all want to be with loved ones and nonwork friends after being together in the office so much!

(Sarah Hawk) #4

At FeverBee we’re close enough to enjoy a night out together on the very rare occasions that we’re all in the same country, but working remotely enforces a degree of distance.

When I last worked in an office, we were very close. I count some of my closest friends from that time, and I met my husband there. I didn’t ever have a situation where it was an issue, and I miss those times. I think whether it works depends very much on the size of the business (and the culture obviously).

(Kath Reuben) #5

I tend to keep the two quite separate. Although friendly with co-workers and happy to have the occasional night out, I don’t see them at weekends - partly because other than work we don’t have much in common and partly because after spending all week together, I’m happy to go my own way. Over the years, there are people I’ve become good friends with and we spend time together outside of work but I wouldn’t say these friends are part of my inner circle. I have to say, this is pretty specific to my experience living in London (which could also be attributed to distance, there are a lot of people in my company who commute quite a ways and we’re not friendly enough to repeat that and trek across London/UK on the weekends to spend time together). In other cities, my co-workers all became best friends and I still keep in touch with most of them.

(Nick Emmett) #6

I keep things fairly separate - I’m good friends with a handful of people at work, but generally don’t meet up outside of work, unless it’s a work related meet up. I know there’s plenty of people here that do though. I like to catch up with a couple of guys I used to work with in a previous company a few times a year, but other than that, the two lives are fairly distinct. Having said that - there is always a degree of openness, people know what’s going on in my life because of how close we work together - work would be pretty boring if people didn’t chat about their personal lives too.