Press relations?

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

Hey friends! As community manager how do you handle press relations? Monday I’ll publish our alpha3 announcement and I don’t know how to say that to the press world in the most effective way! Do you have any advice? Community sometimes is not enough. I’m a noob in this field and you’re not just cmgrs but also veteran marketings/writers/editors/content managers, how can I move my first steps?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

This is probably one that @Ophelie would have useful insight on.

(Richard Millington) #3

I used to work in PR.

My first thought is ‘why would the press care’?

And I mean that in the most polite way possible. The press love stories that help them sell advertising (usually). They want as many clicks as possible. That means they want big new trends, quirky anecdotal stories, or something offbeat.

Most importantly, they want stories about people. Read any newspaper and 90% of the stories will be about people, not about topics.

(Alessio Fattorini) #4

Ehi Richard, thanks for your valuable input. Your thoughts here are aligned with your book’s chapter: Content.
I can summarize it with “Tell stories about your members” :slight_smile:
Lesson learned: press the point further on this kind of content!

(Richard Millington) #5

Broadly speaking, if you want press attention…give them something surprising for their audience.

• A major new trend as shown by your community surveys.
  • An incredible story from one of your members.
  • Challenge an existing belief.
  • Take a stand against something controversial.

Your goal is to help the journalist impress their editor. So also come equipped with images and videos. Become a useful source of new story ideas.

Avoid anything that feels like fluff.

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Thanks to your advice I write a few lines about this:

Looking forward to your comments and thoughts

(Sarah Hawk) #7

That’s an excellent summation of the process. Good on you.

My advice would be to sign up at @edfryed’s Inbound community if you haven’t already. We’ve very recently been working on our inbound marketing strategy and I’ve found the advice and support at Inbound invaluable.

(Richard Millington) #8

the other thing i’d mention here is to actually find the writers you want to reach.

Read the relevant blogs / magazines. Where do you imagine an article about your community belonging?

Remember too the lead times on magazines tend to be a few months in advance. You might also want to look at the forward features list (google it) and get a copy for each of the magazines you want to pitch.

In your pitch, make sure it reflects a particular place where it should belong.