Platform tweaks – Get Satisfaction

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Continuing the discussion from So, what are you working on?:

I think it makes sense to split this out into a new topic, because it’s an important conversation to have and will be useful for others making platform decisions in the future.

I think there are a couple of important aspects to discuss. Firstly, I understand why you chose GetSat – it’s definitely a popular platform for support communities. @tashinacombs was in charge of product and community education at GetSat until recently, so she may be able to offer some tips around getting the most from it (or point you to some resources).

Secondly, until our recent move to Discourse we were in a similar situation with Drupal. People weren’t finding the platform intuitive or even usable in some cases, and notifications were a big part of that. It was having a serious impact on our traffic and engagement. I would recommend trying to get that sorted out if you can. Is it possible to customise at all?

(Tashina Combs) #2

I actually still have that role. :slight_smile: Kristina, I’m happy to discuss this with you if you like. I’ll send you an email so that we can talk more.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I thought you did, but double checked your LinkedIn and it said you finished up in April. Apologies for the mistake. :smile:

(Kristina King) #4

Thanks! I’ll shoot you a reply today.

(Kristina King) #5

Thanks for splitting this up and pointing me in Tashina’s direction. I’ll report back with what I determine after working with Tashina, because no matter what, it might be helpful info for other users. (Or they might have a brilliant idea for me!)

In your Drupal to Discourse move, have you seen more engagement now that you have more control? Or is it too early to tell?

(Sarah Hawk) #6

You’re welcome.

[quote=“Kristinaking, post:5, topic:946”]
In your Drupal to Discourse move, have you seen more engagement now that you have more control? Or is it too early to tell?
[/quote] We’ve seen a huge jump in engagement, although there are a few factors at play.
Firstly, we didn’t have a public forum before, just the exclusive CommunityGeek forum (now our Growth Club on this platform). Engagement is up in the Growth Club, but some of that will be curiosity about Discourse, which muddies the stats a bit.

Direct traffic is coming in at 4th on the referral table. The bulk of that is most likely to be from email notifications.

Giving people the option to respond via email is also powerful.

(Richard Millington) #7

Engagement is definitely way up.

But it’ll be interesting to see how it compares a month from now when the curiosity factor has passed.

The average time on site is most interesting. That’s almost doubled since we relaunched the site. Views per visit is also way higher. That’s a big win in my book.

(Kristina King) #8

Whoa! that’s a huge jump, and yes, I wonder how much of that is curiosity. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. But as @HAWK said, email helps—if you aren’t inundated with notifications.

(Darren Gough) #9

It feels so much more alive in here to me in many ways

I think the platform (it really looks and acts great) and the fact we put the most interesting content and discussion front and centre is a big factor.

The main difference I’ve felt is the variety of people posting in here. It’s starting to feel more like it has a little of its own personality and culture. Not sure if other feel the same?

(James Higginson) #10

How is traffic looking now @richard_millington was that a novelty spike or has it remained at that level?

(Sarah Hawk) #11

There was definitely a small novelty spike but we plateaued at still approx twice the average time prior to relaunch.

(James Higginson) #12

That’s a fantastic result. In your experience of Discourse, are there any downsides? From what I gather it would appear to be an ideal community platform.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

Nothing huge. I occasionally hear from people that see a Discourse community for the first time say that they find it a bit disconcerting for a minute because it looks so different from what they are used to, but that’s expected.

From a technical perspective I find it occasionally frustrating when changes to core breaks supported customisations that I’ve made (eg links in the header just stopped working last week because Discourse changed the way the header is handled) but so far they’ve been easy enough to rectify.

There are minor UX niggles (like the fact that clicking on the top left logo takes you to the homepage of Discourse rather than to the homepage of the integrated platform/main site, but again not major.

Discourse is definitely my platform of choice.

(James Higginson) #14

Interesting response from discoursehosting with regard to pageviews, quote;

“Every pageview on a regular forum translates to roughly 1.4 pageviews on Discourse (because of the background loading)”

I wonder how this would affect my pageview count if I were to move to Discourse, currently we have multiple pages of comments per post, as I understand it Discourse only has one never ending page. If that translates to 1.4 pageviews then in my case they may actually go down.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Potentially yes, but I wonder if that matters?
Time onsite might be a better metric to judge sentiment.

Are you concerned for reporting reasons?

(James Higginson) #16

Indeed, not a good metric for engagement but it could have an impact on ad revenue.

(Sarah Hawk) #17

Fair point. It’s not something that I’ve ever considered. Let’s call in @erlend_sh for his thoughts.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #18

We recently addressed this in a major way by enabling ad insertions every Nth post:

So that as you scroll down a long topic, every 7 posts for instance we’ll load a new ad.

Edit: right, I already mentioned that here. But point stands; I don’t imagine Discourse having adverse effect on ad impressions since ads will get roughly the same amount of display time

(James Higginson) #19

Excellent work @erlend_sh looks great, thanks for the info