Phantom posts and google SEO ranking

(Gear Buzz) #1

I’m thinking of introducing sponsored posts. However they would have a special functionality.

1. they would move about within the chronological order of the thread to be easily visible at all times.

2. they would time out and disappear after the sponsorship period had ended.

I wonder what Google would make of content that is within a thread discussion for a short period but then later vanishes?

To be clear, in a long thread it would represent perhaps 1/100th of the over all content.

Would this “now you see it, now you don’t” content damage SEO?

(The content would not be “ad served” it would be part of the forum platform’s own post structure)

Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)
(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

Edit: I provided wrong info - removed

(Sarah Hawk) #3

This is probably a good question for @dominic_woodman – let’s call him in.

(Richard Millington) #4

I’d suspect it had some minor impact, but not a huge impact.

Personally, I’d leaving it going and just gradually fade. It seems to have more value to the sponsor then.

(Gear Buzz) #5

Thing is I want to “rent” space within the discussion thread.

Per day, per week, per month etc.

(Gear Buzz) #6

Thinking aloud while waiting.

I wonder if I could make the whole promoted post google “no index” so it’s appearance and disappearance wouldn’t become an issue.

(Dominic Woodman) #7

Sorry about the hold-up, Sarah’s email got buried in my end of month inbox. So if you’re still thinking about it:

I don’t think it’ll be a issue. Content changes on pages all the time, people edit their own discussions (like Bas has done in exactly this thread), or edit articles to update or remove incorrect pieces of information.

As another example take job boards, the category pages (for example IT Jobs in Manchester), would constantly have appearing and disappearing chunks of content.

If they’re paid sponsorships, you should follow all the normal good practices like nofollowing links etc. disclosing them as ads (i.e. make sure you’re not selling links), but the fact they jump around shouldn’t be an issue.

It’s worth noting on the last point with “noindexing” chunks of a page, while you possibly could do something elaborate, with a noindexed iframe, but I’ve not seen examples of this recently to know if it still works and in either case not even worth bothering!

(Gear Buzz) #8

Thanks that makes sense and is very reassuring

The last paragraph has me perplexed however (sorry!)

In simple terms, how best to No Index a sponsored post?

(Dominic Woodman) #9

You used to be able to embed a noindexed iframe in a page and it wouldn’t be indexed, but I haven’t seen an example of it recently.

Either way, we should ignore it as the pointless SEO rabbit hole that it is!

(Gear Buzz) #10

Thanks

I don’t want the temporary ad content being held in Google’s archive for eternity.