Paying for online ads to increase membership

(Carl Sonic) #1

Is it wise to pay for online ads e.g adwords, twitter and facebook ads in order to increase community membership.My community has very low penetration in the audience i’m targeting, my target is around 30 million and my communities membership is around 5000 members, i need to grow and increase penetration, on average i get around 8 new members and activity is quite high, i was wondering if investing in advertising to boost growth will boost the community and accelerate growth.

So, what are you working on?
(Sarah Hawk) #2

How do people currently find out about the community @calsonic? Do they come in via organic search?

(Carl Sonic) #3

45% organic search, 10% Social media referral, 40% direct 5% other

(Darren Gough) #4

Hi @calsonic. If you’re getting 85-90% interest from organic, direct or non social media traffic, it might be better to look at why they aren’t converting. When you mention penetration, it seems like the bulk of your visitors are actually finding you.

Can you give us some more information on traffic from that group vs signups, and maybe round out your community a little more?

(Carl Sonic) #5

Daily Unique visitors 4,000 , pageviews 50,000 new registrations ~8

(Sarah Hawk) #6

If you’re getting 4k visitors (which is big) and only 8 registrations then it’s definitely fair to say that conversion is an issue! Are you comfortable sharing your URL?

(Carl Sonic) #7

Unfortunately i can’t do that, maybe in private

(Sarah Hawk) #8

Ok, I can give you some pointers then, without being specific.

• Do you know which pages your organic traffic is landing on (and do you have clear CTAs on all those pages?) People aren’t necessarily only landing on your home page. [This is our busiest page] (https://www.feverbee.com/different-types-of-communities/) so I’ve put a banner in there to harvest that traffic which bypasses the homepage.
  • Social traffic probably isn’t going to your homepage.
  • Is your traffic relevant? (i.e. are people finding what they expect when they click through to your site?) Do you know what your bounce rate is?
  • Are you using pop ups to harvest traffic before it bounces?

Then you need to optimise your CTAs. Make them clear and unambiguous.

• Make your button say “Join [community]” not “Go” or “Submit”
  • Don’t bait and switch – make sure you deliver exactly what you offer.
  • Use high contrast buttons surrounded by white space
  • Put your CTA in a banner or at the top right of your page (where people expect it)
  • Use tunnelling. Have one clear CTA on a page and remove other distractions. (This won’t work on article pages obviously.)

(will mckay) #9

Great info. I’m such a neophyte. In searching for the definition of CTA, I found this blog and thought it was helpful for developing CTAs.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Sorry, I should have said that. For future readers: CTA = Call to Action
That’s a good article, Will.

Was any of the above info useful @calsonic?

(Sarah Hawk) #11

I just came across this very effective CTA (the overlay appeared about 30 secs into reading the page).

It’s simple, the messaging is on-point (“most creative strategies” gets me curious), and perhaps most notably, it is novel and unique (for now).

(Bas van Leeuwen) #12

I might be weird, but for me, introducing an overlay has a 50% chance of me immediately closing the tab I’m in.
Be careful; it’s easy to measure who converts because of the overlay. Don’t forget to measure who leaves

(Richard Millington) #13

Well that’s the big question isn’t it?

Does it matter who you’re losing if they’re not converting?

Certainly could be the case - but there’a a trade-off either way.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #14

If it’s a conscious choice it could be fine, usually it isn’t.

The message almost never is “we gained 5 new leads, but we lost 15 readers”, what’s reported is always “we gained 5 new leads”.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

More so than just a pop-up?

(Bas van Leeuwen) #16

If it interrupts my reading, I press escape (usually before it’s fully loaded, it’s become a reflex); if that doesn’t close the modal/popup/interstitial/overlay, usually I’m gone. Unless it’s something that I badly want to read, then I’ll close the popup.

I have never left my mailaddress before I finished reading.

(I might be special, but I also might be part of the target audience… :smile: )

(Bas van Leeuwen) #17

Oh and don’t forget that it completely ruins the screenreader experience

(Sarah Hawk) #18

Just to clarify, is this just the overlay that you’re talking about, or all pop-ups?

(Bas van Leeuwen) #19

Everything to be honest

Basically, just leave me alone, I’ll find you if I want to :smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #20

Ok, that’s a relief then! The stats on pop-ups are pretty conclusively positive, so it sounds like you’re a bit of an edge case. :simple_wink: