Open question for the book, what do you want your members to do?

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

An open question to all our wonderful members here.

What specifically do you want members to do in your community and how does that help you achieve your community goal?

I’m looking to get a sense of the buckets different people fall into for the book.

(Rebecca Braglio) #2

I’m managing a health condition support community. Right now I specifically want them to start filling out their extended profiles (information on diagnosis, current treatments, demographics). Once they start doing that they are able to member search to find someone in their area, demographics, and who are on similar treatment protocols. It also enables me to make better introductions (i.e., MemberA you should really meet and chat with MemberB - she not only is from your town but she also has experience with drug x, and I recall you were looking for info on that…)

The more connected my members are to one another, the more they can support one another = goal met.

(Richard Millington) #3

I like that. That’s a good one. Can I use it for the book?

(Rebecca Braglio) #4

But of course!

(Rebecca Braglio) #5

It also meets another goal, actually, more for our business development side. The more members fill out their extended profile, the more data we can collect on them. My company also offers market/patient research to pharma companies, so the more info we can get on our members, the better able we are to connect those members with clinical trials/opportunities that they’d actually be interested in and qualify for.

In addition, if they fill out the extended profile, we can better segment our emails and make their onsite experience more personalized to their symptoms, treatments, etc. Which, of course, = better overall UX. Better UX and personalized emails will (fingers crossed) mean higher return visits. More visits, more page views means more ads viewed (which, of course, helps business development meet their sales goals).

(Richard Millington) #6

That’s a really interesting one. I’ve always downgraded the role of community profiles these days. I can see the benefit on this one though.

(Rebecca Braglio) #7

the struggle is getting them to fill it out in a non-obnoxious, bit by bit kind of way!

(Richard Millington) #8

What do you do today? That’s interesting. Would love an example.

(Rebecca Braglio) #9

Well, right now we aren’t doing anything. Which is obviously bad, but at least I can start from scratch.

Right now I’m working on finding all of the touchpoint notifications our platform currently automatically sends out. How can I change the copy in it to nudge them to go to their profiles and add this info? Can we have site messaging (liked on LinkedIn) encouraging them to fill it out?

I need to convey to them the WIIFM – the more information they provide in their profile, the better able they are to connect with members who know exactly what they are going through. We can then match them to people who not only have the same condition, but who have the same experiences with medications, alternative treatments, and are located nearby. However, right now I’m limited technically on getting that message out, so I’ve got to be creative. I may have to do it manually at first and then get my more active users to encourage others to do it when they post replies.