Onboarding Flow in Product Communities

(Kate Ambash) #1

Hi All! Our product has a community that I manage. We don’t currently “invite” users to the community as part of our Drip emails, but I’d like to do so. Does anyone have a diagram of how the community is introduced as part of your product onboarding? Any examples would be great for the creation and approval of something for my company :slight_smile:

(Jess Burnham) #2

I can’t provide much of a diagram, but I can explain how we introduce new customers to our Community.

Our Community operates as sort of an extension of our Support department. If someone is using the product and runs into some sort of technical issue, they contact Support. If a customer is using our product and they want to explore ways of enhancing their experience with the product, they come to our Community.

We don’t advertise the Community (yet) because customers will often go to Support with questions that would fit more in our Community channel, so our Support team redirects the users, and they start new topics in the Community. Once the customers have discovered the Community, it’s generally pretty sticky because of how much more nuanced it is compared to just messaging someone on Support, solving your issue, and being done with it.

I’m not sure if that makes a whole ton of sense. We are starting to discuss opportunities with advertising our Community on our social channels in the next quarter. I’ll update here when that comes to fruition.

Good luck!!

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

That’s my user journey :slight_smile: hope it helps
I can explain it if you need

(Kate Ambash) #4

I’d love to chat with you about this. Is your community dedicated to your
product? I’m really pushing to have one of our intro drip emails include an
introduction to the community. It doesn’t look like your onboarding flow
includes that…

(Richard Millington) #5

Wow that’s a huge chain.

How much of that is followed by all members?

Is it reflective of what members are doing or more speculative of what you would like members to do?

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Not a speculation, It reflects what my members are doing and it’s based on my own experience.
Needless to say, some members stop at the first stages and just a few come at the end. My ambassadors made basically all steps, some of them write some code too.
Let me add that, the first two rows are pretty common for many members who are slightly active.

(Suzi Nelson) #7

We dont do a stellar job right now in onboarding (at least for joining the community). It’s only mentioned in the initial Welcome email that we send out when someone purchases the product. We are working on building out a 90-day drip email sequence that will include several calls to action to join the community.

The community is a main value proposition for our product, so generally customers know from the get-go that it exists (it’s also linked in the product itself). Our weekly community newsletter also links out to conversations happening in the group. Our customer care team invites customers to join the community when they answer support tickets, similar to @jess_burnham .

I don’t have much more on this for now, but I can report back once our official onboarding email process is implemented. :slight_smile:

(Kate Ambash) #8

This is helpful! Perhaps I should push for this in our welcome email…but we already have 3 CTAs in that, so I don’t think it will happen :frowning:

(Suzi Nelson) #9

Welcome emails are the most important email! Don’t be afraid to include lots of info - people will NEVER be more excited to open an email. Open rates go downhill from there :wink:

Here’s a linkedin post my CEO wrote about welcome emails that has some tips: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-write-perfect-welcome-email-ryan-deiss

(Richard Millington) #10

I don’t think this is entirely true. We haven’t updated ours for a while, but at the moment our welcome series tends to bounce around a little.

I’d distinguish between two things here. The welcome email people get within minutes of registering and the email they get later as part of an onboarding effort.

The former should be short, direct, with the sole goal to make people make a contribution right now. That’s why they’re there. Any additional information at this side tends to be ignored. We really want people to make an active contribution and then let notifications bring people back.

The first email of the automation series (a week later) can provide more information, resources, and hook people more into the culture of the community.

(Sarah Hawk) #11

Do you need all of those?

(Kate Ambash) #12

We do…yes. I might be able to lobby for an individual welcome series to the community separate from what we need our customers to do to register and sign up for a product.

How many folks have a separate flow for signing up for the COMMUNITY separate from signing up for the product?