New Homepage - Your Thoughts

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

Hey everyone,

As you’ve seen we launched our new homepage this week. We’re not promoting it widely yet, but would love your thoughts on it - especially if you spot any bugs.

We’re hoping it helps people find useful content much quicker than the old site. It shouldn’t affect anything in this community yet though.

[20 March] What are you working on this week?
Homepage
(JoeBuhlig) #2

Love it! Well done, team. As a web developer I can appreciate a well done homepage.

For bugs, I only noticed two and they were on an iPhone 6s running Safari.

1. The sign up form has hard corners and needs some spacing between the button itself.

2. This might be nit-picky but I usually try to take advantage of the edges of the screen when it shrinks so that it doesn’t end up being a super long page. There are a few sections where there’s a fair amount of blank space around the edges. Sometimes designers like it but it can add to the amount of required scrolling on a page.

That’s all I found. Again, well done. I’m a fan. :wink:

(Gear Buzz) #3

(Mobile) How do you get to the home page from the forum index?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I used to have a HOME link there. I’m not sure where that’s gone! I’ll get it sorted today.
(It must have been missing for a while so is unrelated to this new home page.)

(Dan Hinmon) #5

I like the look and feel. Call to action is strong. I’m surprised that you feature only blogposts on the home page. Why not discussion activity? Upcoming events? Afraid ithey will interfere with your #1 call to action?

(Richard Millington) #6

Discussion activity is on there, it’s just much lower down. We didn’t have much evidence that the discussion activity was being clicked on in the former version of the site so we put it a little lower down.

(Dan Hinmon) #7

Oh funny. When I got to that dark blue bar it looked like a footer and I stopped scrolling. Missed about 75% of the home page. UX!

(Sarah Hawk) #8

That bar is contentious. :wink:

(Courtney Howell) #9

The “Join Our Community of Experts” section is intimidating! That could possibly just be me. Does it let the 4 latest discussions show up, no matter the poster’s status? Might be slightly more scared to post a brand-new discussion now just b/c I know my picture & post could show up.

I only tested on desktop but it looks really lovely on there. I did slightly hesitate on the dark blue bar like @danhinmon1 because it looked like it could be the end of the page, but I noticed my sidebar still had more room to go down so it didn’t trip me up. Great work!

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Hey Courtney. Thanks so much for (a) this feedback and (b) having the courage to be transparent about your feelings.

This is a long standing debate for us. What would make it less intimidating for you?
I’m also interested in hearing whether others feel the same way.

Interesting. In short, yes. We don’t differentiate between members, although not all categories display.

(Nick Emmett) #11

i can see how this would/could be the case - it kind of makes it sound like you have to be an expert to join and be able to add any value. I"m not sure what the answer is - however, you do suggest that 10k+ community “professionals” read the blog - perhaps that could help? But then that would negate the effectiveness of the Community’s name - Feverbee experts.
I don’t think the picture/post showing up thing would avert too many people really, if any.

I think the design is strong, especially from the perspective of it being your business and not just about this community.

(Richard Millington) #12

I am considering changing that to ‘Get help from our community of experts’

But I don’t think the wording will have a huge impact either way.

(Courtney Howell) #13

Hey, @HAWK, @Nick_Emmett and @richard_millington!

It’s highly likely my response stems from my own shyness, and that’s what made me balk upon first seeing that part of the homepage. And as Nick points out, the community is a portion of Feverbee, not the whole thing. The way the community is featured on the homepage is not a drawback. In fact, I think it’s super cool and instantly gives personality to the community.

When I shared that, I was totally in my own world and thinking that as a relatively new member of this community, knowing that my first ever new discussion topic might show up there will make me think really, really hard about what I post. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing haha!

(Sarah Hawk) #14

Hey @courtney_howell – your feedback is incredibly helpful and you’re not alone – I hear similar things often and it’s a discussion that Rich and I have frequently.

We need to find some middle ground with the messaging so that we do communicate the value for people with experience that want to connect with peers, while not scaring off those that are new to community. Without the second group there would be no challenges for the first group to answer!

Thanks again for your courage and honesty.

Anonymous mode – would that lower the barrier to posting?
(Sarah Hawk) #15

A post was split to a new topic: Anonymous mode – would that lower the barrier to posting?

(Gear Buzz) #16

What do you think of my home page?

www.gearslutz.com

(Ben Edwards) #17

How much work went into getting this homepage in place on top of Discourse? Does it require self hosting? I really like it.

(Richard Millington) #18

No, it doesn’t require self-hosting, but it does require some work.

www.eventtribe.com do it as well. It’s not ‘too’ complicated, but you have to have some idea of what you’re doing.

What’s your community? Can I take a look?

(Ben Edwards) #19

We haven’t done anything with our current site yet (still not fully live) but I used to run the community over at SmartThings and we had a custom header we hacked into place. I suppose I could just look how you’re doing it by viewing source and trying it out :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #20

Chat to @JoeBuhlig – he built the homepage here and I highly recommend him. It’s all CSS – no plugins required – so you don’t need to be self hosted.

We’re extending our tagging ability in v2.0 (starting January) so that will make management of tag based functionality like this even more flexible.