New Facebook Groups Feature: Discussion Topics

(Sarah Hawk) #21

Agreed that they don’t care on a superficial ‘in the moment’ level, but if it spells the end of a community that they get value from then I suspect they might.

(Gear Buzz) #22

Facebook is frictionless and has momentum.

(Re i Dishon) #23

what are some better platform out there ?

(Sarah Hawk) #24

Hi @Rei_D – you’ll find a pretty comprehensive list of the most popular community platform options here. If you have specific questions or would like help to choose something based on your needs, start a new topic. Happy to help. :slight_smile:

(Re i Dishon) #26

thx a bunch - btw - what’s is the platform for this forum - that we are using ?

(Sarah Hawk) #27

No worries.
This is Discourse.

(Re i Dishon) #28

so i have created today a little video tutorial about this new feature of FB discussion topics
you can check it out here - https://www.facebook.com/commagain/videos/553141954868997/

(Dave Charbonneau) #29

I’m still not seeing this option in my FB Groups.

(Suzi Nelson) #30

yeah its not in my group yet either :frowning: they must be still rolling it out.

(Dave Charbonneau) #31

I guess that makes my choice easier, @Suzi_Nelson. I’ve gone back and forth, but every time I read @richard_millington’s thoughts about how I am NOT Facebook’s customer (I read that as, ‘I’m their bait’), it makes sense for me to build my own.

I think it will take longer to build, but it will be better.

(Richard Millington) #32

@Dave_Charbonneau I would note I wrote that book 4 years ago. Anything related to technology is probably overdue an update.

That said, I stand by what I said.

Facebook is probably the easiest platform to create a community today. You get the natural network effects. In the short-term it will help you get off the ground much quicker.

The downside is in the longer run it hurts you. You don’t benefit from the long tail of search traffic. It’s harder to manage discussions as you grow in popularity. And, most of all, you’re not the customer. If there is something you don’t like, you don’t have anyone to complain to. Anything can be changed at any time without notice. Facebook might start applying the same algorithm to groups they apply to pages.

So if you’re targeting a small group or just getting started, Facebook might be a great idea. If you’re looking to build a larger group that will be around for a while, I’d go with something else.

(Dave Charbonneau) #33

Thank you, @richard_millington, for your reply and your input into this. It’s really difficult, because I see it just as you described it (now). That it would be easier to start with Facebook, but less desirable as we grow. As well, I’m planning on using Facebook Live to drive traffic to my FB Page, so it might seem handy to have the group right there, too.

On the flip side, I plan to promote the Not-On-Facebook Community as something that benefits the members.

1. People are there because they really want to be.
  2. This is a valuable, stand-alone tool/system.
  3. Members can communicate freely with others.
  4. No data mining your posts and demographics for selling ads.
  5. No outside ads.
  6. If there are any issues, the company and owner is reachable.
  7. Conversations are in categories by topic.
  8. Topics are search-able.
  9. Focus on your peers and topics without distractions.
  10. You don’t have to sort through spam and nonsense to find quality, practical interaction.

That’s off the top of my head, anyway. Thanks, again, Richard.

(Richard Millington) #34

As Facebook continue to keeping adding new features, I’d love to get some sense from anyone still using them what their thoughts are.

Do you still think they’re much improved?
Are you getting a lot of extra traffic?
Is your community still growing?

What features are you using / not using?