New Community - 100 Day Pan

engagement
metrics

(Angelo Luciani) #1

HI folks,

I’ve recently moved to a new company and started managing their online community. Their community runs on a platform that I am not familiar with, so I have a bit of a learning curve at the moment. The other catch is that the online community is also used for employees as their internal community - Interesting dynamic to me.

I typically go after metrics for the last six months and get a sense for what’s working, what needs improvement, etc. I then present the information and so where I would like to make changes, if needed.

I’m looking for feedback from community managers here on what you would do in the first 100 days of taking over a new community.

(Lucas Miller) #2

Metrics are always a good place to start, but I would also consider goals for you community. You might consider goals for both your users based off of the opportunities from your metrics. Then match those goals with the organization as a whole.

Currently, I am in the pre-launch phase of my community and am developing a content strategy. I am using information from a free online course put together by the former CMO at General Mills. https://academy.thebigknow.com/course/9-educational-content-marketing-strategies/session/9-educational-content-marketing-strategies

Personally, I think education can be useful to promote community growth and engagement (and will be a foundation for my community). Maybe there are some opportunities within the course for your community… ?

(Angelo Luciani) #3

Thanks for sharing the link @lucasmiller3

(Sarah Hawk) #4

This topic has some good ideas in it:

I particularly like Rich’s idea of interviewing all the stakeholders to see what their expectations are and make sure yours are aligned.

(Richard Millington) #5

We’ve been interviewing a lot of community people recently.

One thing I’d definitely stress is the importance of building connections throughout the company. Someone yesterday mentioned they began sitting in as many product and marketing team meetings as possible. As a result they could align useful product feedback with engineering sprint cycles. They could also provide the content in the right format for the engineering team.

Things like that are really useful and go a long way to better establishing the value of the community.

(Renée Van Holsteijn) #6

Hi @aluciani, this thread caught my eye. So, how’s the first 100 days going? What development, change or needs do you see? I’m just curious, and maybe we can help you further along :slight_smile:

(Richard Millington) #7

Would you be able to share your 100-day plan? I think it would be really interesting material for everyone.

(Angelo Luciani) #8

Hi @reneevh @richard_millington

I put together a 30-60-90 day plan. I have a lot of tactical items in the list, but in the first 30 days, it’s more about getting familiar with the new community. 60-90 days it is more about re-engagement, re-activation and site improvements based on community feedback.