Multi Quote available on your platform?

Are you using a community that has Multi Quote?

Currently I manage two communities. Vanilla Forums with a quote option that allows you to quote multiple posts into a reply as long as the comments you are quoting exist on the same page of pagination. The other community is on Khoros JX and does have quoting but will only allow quoting but the wysiwyg editor will only quote the one specific post you reply to. On the Vanilla community it is really easy to comment and reply to the various posts that have last come in since I last engaged in the community. I love it as I don’t spam out numerous successive messages as I reply to everyone that needs a response in a given thread. People are notified with an @mention as I concatenate several quotes into one reply. It doesn’t have permalinks to each post I’ve quoted to they can see the original post if I’ve somehow modified it but it at least gives them context to what I’m replying to.

With Khoros JX I have to click the quote button and then copy and paste additional replies into one post if I want to consolidate many different responses into one post. THe downside is that my comment becomes a child to one of those posts but there are no permalinks back to the other posts and it’s cumbersome to copy and paste it over and over again.

I know some years back when I was spending a lot of time on XDA Developers forums see their site (Another example here to see what I’m talking about) and they were using vBulletin or something similar they also had a multiquote function that allowed you to quote multiple posts by clicking a multi-quote button or click a box in the lower corner of the posts you wanted to quote and then at the bottom of the thread you could click reply and any post that had the box checked it would reply to that post. You could even change pages of pagination and click the boxes on additional pages. WHen you clicked the reply button at the bottom of the thread it would concatenate all of the posts that you had checked into one reply with a space between so you could type. If you were a noob to the site and you didn’t know that the function existed it also had some macro function where if you replied separately to multiple posts it would initially show your first reply by itself but then it would update and concatenate your replies together. I am not sure the threshold between your posts for it to automatically do this but it was really slick. Additionally it would also somehow detect you were doing rapid fire reply and instead of sending out a flurry of replies to which most people were going to get upset at you for flooding their inbox, it grouped the replies into one email notification just as though you had used the multi-quote button to reply once.

Wondering what other platforms might utilize functionality like this?

1 Like

I’m not sure if this counts, but when you are replying, you can navigate to other posts and quote from them like this:

Here’s a non-standard Discourse plugin that does that. I’ve got at least one community that uses it.

Discourse does this out of the box.

Discourse has all of this information. I don’t know if there’s a way to get it to display on their post. It should be possible, though it would take a custom theme. It does indicate if they replied via email.

2 Likes

Oooh @Jay_Pfaffman that is nifty and pretty close to what I mean about multi-quote. But I couldn’t find out how to put my replies in between your individual responses without puttin in [ / quote ] and modifying the markup.

Great to know about Discourse having online presence, even in a non standard way. By non standard does that mean it’s not covered by any warranties and therefore could be a security issue?

Maybe it was this community where it I saw the simlutaneous typing! Thanks for the reminder!

Great to know about possibly being able to have discourse show more info on the post and if the user replied by email.

Thanks so much for all this info!

In my experience, the multiquote feature on PHP-based forum software work really differently. They allow you to select a set of responses and have them all quoted in one response. This arises from two situations:

• To pull a multithreaded topic with many threads to be pulled back together after they have spread out all over the place.
  • To economise on text or posts by replying in one large post instead of many discrete posts.

Discourse isn’t threaded so it only has the second reason.

But Discourse also differs from more traditional forum software because it discourages repetition such as quoting the previous post and AFAIK the default is to remove such a quote.

Discourse also discourages using quotes of quotes to many levels. It encourages discrete responses with each post having a link back to the post being responded to which is either the last post or any earlier one.

As shown, it does allow selecting any text to quote with no limitation on the number of excerpts quoted.

:thinking: You said multiquote quotes multiple posts which is very different than quoting an entire post which has multiple quotes in it. It should be no surprise that you have to alter the markdown.

Isn’t the duplicated text largely a waste of space and something we should discourage?

I think that means not a standard plug-in on Discourse hosting. Not a warranty or security issue.

1 Like

I mean that it’s a 3rd party plugin not created or supported by the Discourse team. To use it you’d need to self-host or be on Discourse.org’s Enterprise plan (or host with someone else who would allow you to use the plugin). It’s like not a security issue, but means that changes to Discourse core could break the plugin in the future (so then the plugin developer or someone who forked the plugin would need to fix it).

If you wanted to comment under multiple sections of the quote you could have quoted a single section at a time and then add your comments under that quote and then quoted the next section. That’s what I did (though I didn’t have a choice since they came from different topics). You’d have a similar problem if you snagged a big piece of text in your word processor and wanted to add comments in multiple places.

In my experience, the multiquote feature on PHP-based forum software work really differently. They allow you to select a set of responses and have them all quoted in one response. This arises from two situations:

• To pull a multithreaded topic with many threads to be pulled back together after they have spread out all over the place.
  • To economise on text or posts by replying in one large post instead of many discrete posts.

Yes the second reason is more what I was thinking. The first use case is far less common and I don’t think anyone from my community would ever figure that out.

[quote=“remah, post:4, topic:10151, full:true”]

Discourse isn’t threaded so it only has the second reason.

But Discourse also differs from more traditional forum software because it discourages repetition such as quoting the previous post and AFAIK the default is to remove such a quote.

Discourse also discourages using quotes of quotes to many levels. It encourages discrete responses with each post having a link back to the post being responded to which is either the last post or any earlier one.

As shown, it does allow selecting any text to quote with no limitation on the number of excerpts quoted.

:thinking: You said multiquote quotes multiple posts which is very different than quoting an entire post which has multiple quotes in it. It should be no surprise that you have to alter the markdown.

Yes sometimes you have to do some breaking apart of one reply like I’m doing here in order to respond to individual things. Seems harder for me here in Discourse than I’m accustomed to. Perhaps there is an easier way to break apart a quote and respond individtually.

Isn’t the duplicated text largely a waste of space and something we should discourage?

If you’re threaded, there is only one prior post and you have permalinks yes. But when you’ve had multiple replies and you want to respond in one post to multiple comments it makes sense to pull it into one reply. At least for me. Hopefully each of those quotes has a permalink to the actual comment so people can go and see the original content.

I think that means not a standard plug-in on Discourse hosting. Not a warranty or security issue.
[/quote]
Got it. Thanks for clarifying

I understand what you did now. I know how to do that and would become familiar with doing it but I want my population of users to also latch on to being able to reply to multiple different comments in one reply.

I honestly don’t know how that could possibly work, but maybe it would be possible with some forum that had a WYSIWYG editor. Discourse is not like ever to have that.

1 Like