Monthly Member Spotlight

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Continuing the discussion from Rituals and celebrations:

There is a reason that I raised the topic of rituals and celebrations – I’d like to start to focus on some wider community building projects here at Experts now that we’ve been established for a few months.

I want to do something that will offer you the opportunity to introduce knowledge in your specific areas of interest, with a view to increasing the skill levels of all of us. I’m thinking of introducing a monthly Member Spotlight, where the member being spotlighted discusses something quite specific and valuable (rather than a ‘this is who I am and what I’m currently working on’).

I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas on how we could develop this.

(JFleetDattoCM) #2

Something that might be worth considering is, what skills are valuable to Community Managers. From that list you could start identifying members with a background in those particular areas. Something along the lines of, analytics, social media, content creation, etc.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Absolutely. We have members here that fall into those categories for sure.

What kind of format would be the most valuable? An interview that I conduct based on a template that we create together as a community? Community solicited questions that change depending on the topic?

(Colleen Young) #4

I’d like to know from members in the spotlight what “special sauce” they contribute to community management and in particular to this community. It might be a challenge to get people to talk about themselves this way, but it would be valuable to know who to ping for what areas of expertise.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Now you’re talking! I love that idea!

(Colleen Young) #6

It could be fun to get the member to describe their special sauce as they see it and you (or another member) to describe them. Keep the responses blinded and post them both. Wasn’t there an old TV show that did something like this with couples and how they think the other would respond to a situation?

(Steve Bridger) #7

No comment.

(Colleen Young) #8

That’s it! 'nuf said.

(Richard Millington) #9

heh. I could not be more against that idea!!

(Colleen Young) #10

Zing @richard_millington! Was your intent to put an end to the friendly banter about an old TV show? I appreciated that Steve dug up the old clip. Obviously replicating the Mr & Mrs show is not a monthly member spotlight idea. Just a bit of fun.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #11

I’d be into a Member spotlight that came with a piece of advice from something that works in their community - so highlighting them and their space.

(Nick Emmett) #12

I think it’s a great idea. I do something similar within our community that features one of our members each month, and they answer (at the minute) a fairly standard set of questions and give a bit of insight into other Community members about them, their company, their use of our products along with tips on using the Community and what they get out of it. We get some great feedback about it.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

Ok, this sounds like a great opportunity for me to put my new database of member’s-skills-and-interests into action.

What community related topic would you like to see spotlighted first?

(Sarah Hawk) #14

Ok, I kicked this off with an interview of Bas, talking analytics.

You can read it here.

I notice that a number of you have read it, and in retrospect I should have ended it with a question.

Do you think we should turn these into interactive topics where people ask questions of the interviewee, or are they interesting reads in their own right?

(Nick Emmett) #15

I think they’re a combination of both. @Bas_van_Leeuwen spotlight feature is definitely an interesting read in it’s own right, but I don’t think you particularly need to “turn it into” an interactive topic. I think the environment suggests that people can post comments and questions if they have them. Having said that, a question at the end of a post could spark more comments or questions .

(Alessio Fattorini) #16

I have some experience on support communities. Mainly focused on product-based ones, working closely with developers and users. Writing something about that as well.