Moderators Email

(Sam) #1

We are in the process of scaling our forum and we will like to assign moderators to some of the categories.

Any idea on how to go about this?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi @psalmsong – happy to help but can I clarify exactly what you are asking?

Do you need to know how to assign moderators on a specific platform, or are you asking for advice around planning and strategy?

(Sam) #3

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Ok, cool. :slight_smile:

So I think a lot of this will have to do with the nature and culture of your community. Some communities are very structured and that is important. Others, not so much.

Can you give us a bit of background about the community, what challenge you are hoping to solve by taking on moderators (i.e. is it to combat spam, answer questions more quickly, work on changing a specific behaviour etc)?

Is it likely that people are going to be flattered at being invited and will jump at the chance, or will you need to persuade them?

To give you an idea of the different ends of the spectrum when it comes to this kind of communication, here is an example of the email that I used to send to new moderators when I worked in a large tech forum. It is very wordy, but that gives it a gravity that people used to respond well to.

Hiya [member_name],

Your constructive contributions and general good humour are what make these forums so enjoyable and such an informative resource. I know that several other Mentors and Advisors who are part of my team have also praised your involvement in the forums. On their behalf, I would like to invite you to participate in the Community team as a Mentor.

As well as being recognised as a Mentor in the forums so that members are able to approach us when they require assistance, the Mentors are placed into teams which discuss issues and ideas with the aim of improving the forums overall. I personally have enjoyed being a Mentor and being able to contribute a little to the improvement and development of the forums.

If you will accept our invitation to join the mentor program then please reply to this email – at that point I’ll change your permissions to enable you to participate in your team forums and the Mentor’s Clubhouse.

Here’s some cut-and-paste information about what a Mentor is:
The dictionary defines a mentor as:

1. A wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
  2. Mentor. Greek Mythology. Odysseus’s trusted counselor, under whose disguise Athena became the guardian and teacher of Telemachus.

Here at SitePoint this is the basis of what being a Mentor is, but it is more than that. SitePoint Mentors have shown through their knowledge and dedication to be at the top of the class (so to speak). They have risen to the top and deserve the praise they get.

Being a Mentor is a type of internship with one of the largest and most active communities for web development and programming on the web. Through here you can establish yourself as an expert in a field.

Being a Mentor requires a level of commitment, and it is only fair that we tell you upfront what is expected from our Mentors, so that you can accept this position in full knowledge of what you are accepting. The duties should be simple and not much different to what you were doing as a community member.

1. As a Mentor you’re expected to spend at least one hour per week in the forums.
  2. You should visit your team forum at least three times per week in order to stay updated with what your team is doing.
  3. You are expected to behave as a leader and help members with their problems and questions.
  4. You should continue to post on the forums for your enjoyment and for the enjoyment of others. We’ve enjoyed your posts so far, and we think you should keep going.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
HAWK

I wouldn’t send something that wordy these days. I took on a wingman here at FeverBee last week and that email looked something like this:

Hey Nick,

Rich and I were talking about you earlier (in a good way!) and we were wondering if you would like to be more involved in the Experts community?

Our aim is to change the behaviour to encourage more sharing and we’re looking for someone we trust who can share useful information, solicit good ideas, and perhaps find some experts to join in the discussions.

Would you be interested in discussing it further?

Both those models were successful, but for very different reasons. You’ll likely want something in the middle.

If you want guidance around moderation guidelines, I wrote a template last year which you’ll find in our Resources section.

(Sam) #5

Sarah, just know you are the best. I will check these and tweak appropriately. Many thanks :slight_smile: