Misunderstandings about communities

challenges

(Renée Van Holsteijn) #1

After reading @redante 's topic, I thought: there we go again… Why do people think that managing a community is a thing everybody can do next to their daily work?!
This is just one misunderstanding about (managing) communities.

I’m curious: what (annoying) misunderstandings do you hear about communities? Just let it all out, we’re here for each others frustration :slight_smile:

(Redante Asuncion-Reed) #2

Hi Renee – thanks for following up on my thread! I’ve found that it is a matter of folks for lack of a better term, not really knowing what they are getting into, and how much work and investment is involved in planning, launching, and maintaining online communities. They see the end result as desirable and are not cognizant of operational requirements because they did not properly scope the project requirements.

It is the classic “champagne tastes on a beer budget” syndrome but it gets worse in online communities because I think just because the end product is online, people think engagement magically happens on its own with minimal to no investment. They see their own use of Facebook or twitter as a model and think they can duplicate the dynamics of Facebook and Twitter quite easily by making a stray post or comment here and there.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

The one that I find frustrating is that people still think that successful community management is rooted in engagement without being able to demonstrate how that engagement can be linked to a key value metric or return on a strategic organisational goal.

Having an x % increase in posts makes us feel good but it isn’t valuable in itself.