Member Spotlight: Rebecca Braglio talks ambassador programs

spotlight
reading

(Rebecca Braglio) #21

Hi everyone,
I’m really struggling to get a new ambassador program off of the ground, so I figure this would be the thread to talk about it in.

Here’s the situation:

Last year I launched what I’d call a “member appreciation” program. We have a group of 200 paid contributors who advocate for our communities. They don’t really participate much online in our communities, more on facebook. I’d say they are our “cream of the crop.” They are leaders in the space, many have their own blogs, etc. This group writes content for our communities and helps with moderation.

One thing that makes our company unique is that we do not require a set number of articles/moderation hours per month. Basically, they can participate as much or as little as they like. They have signed contracts and NDAs.

Our company needs to increase engagement on our branded communities. Our Facebook pages have high engagement, and we’ve been relying on facebook too heavily. So, part of my goal is to shift our efforts to finding members who are participating in our online communities and turn them into ambassadors.

Here’s what I’m struggling with:

I’m feeling a little overwhelmed because we currently have 15 online communities. Our platform is not conducive to creating engagement, but we’re working on it. We have no gamification at this point. So, for now, I’m looking for members who I feel, in my gut, are invested and would be a good fit.

This batch of members would not be paid. They would be a “Tier 2” type of ambassador. I’m currently working on the perks/benefits that they’d get based on their motivations.

I’m wondering:

Should I have them sign NDAs and formal agreements? Or should I just proceed informally, let it grow organically? If they don’t sign NDAs, then the perks are limited to swag and online recognition.

Am I over-thinking this?

(Colleen Young) #22

Hi @rebeccabraglio, I have parallel experiences to share with you. Unfortunately, the back to work email onslaught and strategic planning demands are monopolizing my time and forbid me from writing a long reply. In brief, I think that you might be putting the cart before the horse. I would suggest being less formal to start. Don’t underestimate the power of recognition and thank you to start. The people you want are not motivated primarily by additional perks. I might suggest that you first get their commitment of participation and then reward them with a more formal agreement and NDA as a graduation into a higher level of trust if applicable.

Let’s talk more.
Colleen

(Rebecca Braglio) #23

Yes. Putting the cart before the horse!!! That’s it!
It’s amazing how when you’re in the weeds you just can’t see things straight. I think I’m getting held back by my overall vision (and the pressure to get a roadmap/timeline/plan).
I find it’s hard, though, to predict how long it will take to determine whether I have a solid group who are committed to participating…experience tells me that it will be at least 6 months to a year before I even get into worrying about agreements, higher levels of trust.
Do you agree?