Member Content for International Customer Communities

(Nancy Kinder) #1

Who is working on International Customer Communities?

I’d love to hear any tips on how to get more quality content from members.

Thanks
Nancy

(Sarah Hawk) #2

@Greg_Telakis @Jeffrey_Otterspoor @briankling – any insights?

(Olivier Le Pord) #3

International as in… Non English?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

International meaning spanning several countries (which would need to all speak the same language so most likely English but not necessarily).

(Richard Millington) #5

@Ed_Giansante did a great talk on global communities during SPRINT.

(Ed Giansante) #6

Hey @Nancy_Kinder

Can you elaborate a bit more on that?

By customer, do you mean paying members? Which industry? And most important - why are you thinking of launching an International community(ies)? :slight_smile:

Cheers
Ed

(Olivier Le Pord) #7

In my company, the English speaking community is by far the most “inter-national” since it gets traffic from all over the world (Engl and non English speaking countries). The Japanese or Turkish boards are the least inter-national.

One thing I track is the traffic pattern from specific countries. From example, visits from Russia are split between the English boards and the Russian boards (a little over half goes to the English boards and the rest to Russian). Spain shows a higher preference for English (vs. Spanish) than Mexico or the rest of Lat Am, for example. Japan shows the strongest preference for Japanese language boards over English, etc. Many aspects to consider when say “International”

In order to develop a content strategy for Russian (in my example), one needs to know where the Russian members are going on the English boards (among other things to track) and consider developing a non engl alternative.

As for tips to get more content from members, if the use case refers to non-English engagement, I found essential to have a ground game: a local native speaker community manager who can engage and grow super users. This person brings credibility and relevance to the effort. the super users can in turn can deliver content on the community.

In my case, being hand in hand with the local office is also a must, so that the community can be represented in local face to face events, align priorities, etc.

(Nancy Kinder) #8

Hi Ed,

This community is free and aimed at customers who use a kitchen appliance. It has a huge number of registered and returning members from around the world but they want to increase their content contributions.

We working on building relationships with super influencers but I wondered if anyone here any experience on getting good quality content or examples of campaigns that worked globally.

All ideas and examples would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Nancy

(Nancy Kinder) #9

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your response and examples here. Its interesting to that you that you track the different countries activities to find the common trends. We can definitely do more of that.

In my experience, members tend to connect and breed familiarity with other “locals” even though its online so I’m trying to trying to find the common ground between them all but perhaps, keep content and engagement plans feeling local even though they are global.

Do you have any experience or other examples of this?

Thanks
Nancy

(Sarah Hawk) #10

What kind of content are you looking for @Nancy_Kinder? Product reviews, forum posts, something else?

(Ed Giansante) #11

Hmmm ok, so assuming that people who are visiting the community are already interested in kitchen appliances and that there’s enough flexibility in this market to adopt ‘appliances’ to different tastes (cultural, even), you’re looking for better quality (rather than quantity) of content that is being produced by members. Is that a fair assumption?

Do you have any local activities taking place or local CMs managing these communities? What’s the current setup?

When we launched our first languages we had someone dedicating part of their time (natives) managing the basics of the community (in other words, few hours a day, simple moderation and mostly reactive). Since our community is 70% support driven (and 30% ‘feedback/feature request’), it may be a different approach to what you’re getting. For us, higher volume of incoming questions is not necessarily good because it becomes repetitive (there are rarely ‘new’ problems about the product and most questions have been addressed previously).

International differs from the fact that 1) some questions are yet “new” because of the age of the community and 2) volumes are much lower due to some obvious reasons Oliver mentioned already (an “English” community is pretty much a ‘catch-all’ community and will mostly always have more traffic/activity).

Do you have room for ‘water coolers’ or general discussions? Are the members designers of kitchen appliances or consumers of it?

(Nancy Kinder) #12

Hi Hawk, this client is looking for content about how they use the appliance, before, during and after, at what occasions etc. We are looking for more and more examples to inspire other members to use it more. Thanks
Nancy

(Nancy Kinder) #13

Hey Ed,

Thanks so much for your response. Great food for thought.

So the people visiting are already happy customers of the appliance, we want to inspire them to use it more and share their examples of how they use it and leverage these insights across the globe.

And indeed, its not about quantity, its about quality.

So we have started with some super user meet ups which are helping accelerate the relationships between those people but I think I need more with wider a group and at the same time influence the quality.

Any ideas on content campaigns or co-creation activities welcome.

In my experience, you find a common challenge and solve it together but finding the common ground globally is a bit more tricky.

Would welcome any more thoughts on this?

Thanks again.
Nancy

(Ed Giansante) #14

Got it.

Yes, meet ups are fantastic to bond with members but it tends to be challenging for international. There’s usually 1) a wide spread of users from different geographical locations (and if you take “spanish” as a market vs geo, you have people in the entire Latin America + Spain) and 2) language barrier if you don’t have native speakers (and locals)

What you can do is rely on some super users from that specific market you’re working with (let’s say some Italian in Rome) and task him/her (but also empower him/her) to run a meet up on your behalf - you’d set aside a budget and offer support but the communication and planning would come from this user.

Managing international with non-natives is quite hard (I find myself in trouble when dealing with very specific American jokes/concerns because that’s just not my reality, as much as I can speak English).

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Reminds me of @Mjbill and his jokes!