Measuring Sense of Community

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

I’d like to send to my members this good survey measuring the Sense of community, but I think that it’s a nonsense sending it to all of them, just to who have posted at least x posts. What do you think?

Measuring a sense of community of a lurker isn’t valuable for me, isn’t it?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

It would definitely be strange to get a survey like that for a community that you hadn’t been part of for some time.

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

Who should I survey? How many post at least?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Rather than number of posts, perhaps you should consider length of membership, or number of visits.
People that log on frequently and have done for a while will have as much value to add as the vocal majority.

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Good hint, I’ll take this way

(Richard Millington) #6

@ale_fattorini I think a lot of this depends upon what you plan to do with the information.

What will you do differently if the sense of community is how or low? Can you tell me a little more about the background and the goal of the survey?

Segmenting people who you send the survey too can be a good idea. You might find lurkers are missing a specific element that participants have and can target future messages accordingly. If you can segment members by either the number of posts made in the past month (or failing that in total) into 3 quartiles, you can get REALLY good data about why people possibly do or don’t participate. That gives you a specific set of actions to get people non-participants more engaged.

The sense of community works best over a period of time. So you can track what’s improved since the previous time and where things are heading. THat’s why you probably want to use a ‘sample’ of members rather than the entire group.

Does that make sense?