Legal Questions...we need yours!

(Richard Millington) #1

Hey everyone,

One of our speakers at FeverBee SPRINT are our very own lawyers Lewis Silkin (I think I’m allowed to say that).

I think law is a really fascinating (and terrifying) part of the work we do and it’s not often we have experts in this field who can answer questions and tackle the challenges and fears you have.

Whether you can attend or not, it would be really useful to get any legal questions you have.

So to help us and Lewis Silkin out…what would you like to know? Answer below if possible.

(Richard Millington) #2

Thought I’d share a few to get us started:

1. What do we need to do when newcomers join to keep us safe?
  2. How liable are we for what members post in online communities?
  3. What do we do if someone threatens to sue us?
  4. Do any existing laws protect us? Are we considered a publisher if we edit information?
  5. Is it wrong to say sorry if we make a mistake?
  6. What happens if we get hacked and our data stolen? Do we get sued?

(rhogroupee) #3

It would also be great to learn more about how the Safe Harbor is going to be replaced with some type of Privacy Shield (possibly). Especially relevant for those who have communities that span U.S. and EU countries.

(Mark Baldwin) #4

Where do we stand when running competitions on communities that include multiple countries? I know there are very strict rules on Facebook for example about what you can and can’t do. Some countries don’t allow skill based questions for example.

(Joe Velez) #5

Great topic!

What exactly can we get sued for? (slander? copyright? anything else?)

(Bas van Leeuwen) #6

What’s the one question that we should all have asked, but didn’t know to ask because we aren’t lawyers?

(Richard Millington) #7

love that question @Bas_van_Leeuwen

(purldator) #8

“What types of content licenses are appropriate for communities? How may we differentiate (in text, for users) between content posted onto the hosting servers and links from other sites?”

“How do we maneuver a situation where a user sues based on the laws governing their local community or country?” (That one deals with things not related to Safe Harbor [ie, privacy].)

(Sarah Hawk) #9

I’ve had cases when community members in the US have requested that I remove their content and have claimed that it is their legal right under the privacy act (or something along those lines). Are we accountable to the laws of the country in which the member resides?

(Gear Buzz) #10

Yes how Brits or Europeans or non US based communities should handle litigious Americans.

Do they need to be told to “get lost” and that despite their father (brother, sister, cousin, uncle) being a lawyer they will need need to abandon their “sue anyone” US law life raft and actually hire people to navigate UK law for them if their threats are to be taken seriously.