Leadership is very much an art

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

I’m reading “Tribes” by Seth Godin and I feel like highlighting that quote"

Leadership is very much an art, one that’s accomplished only by people with authentic generosity and a visceral connection to their tribe. Learning the trick won’t do you any good if you haven’t made a commitment first.

And again

why are so few people amazing in Leadership? Because, of course, it has nothing to do with knowing how the trick is done, and everything to do with the art of doing it. The tactics of leadership are easy. The art is the difficult part.

Do you think that Leadership is a art to master? To practice rather than to learn.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Love this. I think that some people are naturally good at leadership and others have to work hard at it. I also think that it has a lot to do with empathy and energy.

I imagine, like anything, that if you practice you could become great. Does he say that some people are great leaders without practice?

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

He says that knowing the trick (or the theory or the rules…) is not enough, leadership and community management is a complex art, so you need to practice it, master it.
He says also that leadership is a skill you can learn, as any skills. Not reading a book but making a strong commitment.
I totally agree on those characteristic as well: generosity and creating visceral connections!

(Sarah Hawk) #4

And authenticity.

(Bo McGuffee) #5

Yes, I definitely think that leadership is an art. I also think it is a science. The more we understand how people work (the science), the better we are able to creatively influence them (the art). When we blend the two, we can become more intentional, and therefore more effective as leaders.

(Richard Millington) #6

I remember working with Seth in NYC Back in 2008 when this came out. We were at the big Tribes event for everyone in the Triiibes community on Ning.

I must have read this book 10+ times to be clear about what I was talking about.

I found Seth’s book useful on the inspiration side, but Ben Horowitz’s book more practical on the doing it side. https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Thing-About-Things-Building/dp/0062273205.

I think it does a great job of talking about working with uncertainty and dealing with negative individuals inside or outside of the team.