Knowing your members

(Ingrid Peters) #1

We are in de process of starting up a new online community and am writing down everything I know about our group of ambassadors. Once the community grows and you start getting to know more members, I expect that these notes become unmanageable. How do you keep track of your members interests, challenges, strengths etc. and make sure they still makes sense later on?

(Shreyas) #2

Initially, mind mapping worked for me. I realized that at one point, I was so involved with my community that I knew them by their usernames and knew their online persona. This wasn’t scalable and the knowledge wasn’t transferable. I remember reading about something related on twitter, which might help from a technology standpoint:

(Ingrid Peters) #3

@dun3buggi3, thanks for your answer!

I would love to incorporate my knowledge about our members into our CRM. I agree with you that this information has to be transferable. Also if one of my colleagues speaks to a client, it’s important for them to know if they are part of our community.

Before I sit down with our programmer, I am interested to know if someone has ever connected a community tool (Discourse for us) to a CRM?

(Nick Emmett) #4

At the minute I use an Excel workbook to track my members. I use a tab for each one with details about them and their account with us, including links to their details in our actual CRM (Salesforce for reference). The individual pages tell me which products of ours they have, if they are referenceable, a notes section that I use for tracking what interests they have along with personal notes that I find out about them via conversation, social media etc.

The tabs are accessible via the first tab which works as an index, basically listing everyone and a rough overview of high level info, like products and interests along with role, company and indication of events they might be signed up for.

There was a great conversation around this a while ago, there may be some useful nuggets in there for you.

(Ingrid Peters) #5

Thank you, you’re right, great conversation!

(Sarah Hawk) #6

@ingridp In this community I use the Discourse Staff Notes plugin to record info about members (either that I research when I welcome them or that I pick up from their posts) and then I use the data explorer to query the data and pull out specific terms as I need them.

Here is the query that I use:

WITH psr AS (
 SELECT regexp_matches(plugin_store_rows.key, '[0-9]+') AS psr_key_value
   , plugin_store_rows.plugin_name AS psr_plugin_name
   , plugin_store_rows.value AS psr_value
 FROM plugin_store_rows
)
SELECT users.id 
 , users.username
 , users.email
FROM users 
JOIN psr
ON
 users.id = CAST (array_to_string(psr.psr_key_value, '') AS int)
WHERE 
  psr.psr_plugin_name LIKE 'staff_notes'
AND  
  psr.psr_value LIKE '%enter_search_term_here%'

In another Discourse community I’m building out a staff directory as a wiki topic where people can record pertinent facts so that we can all use them to network. That post is here.

(Ingrid Peters) #7

Great, thank you Sarah! I have asked our IT guy to have a look at the plug in.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

No problem. It comes native with hosted Discourse instances. If you go to your Admin panel it’ll be in the left menu.