Joining JiveWorld next week in Vegas?

event

(chiprodgers) #1

Is anyone else going to JiveWorld in Las Vegas next Mon/Tues/Weds?

If so, it would be great to meet up IRL!

Chip

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I think @Kristen_Gastaldo was planning on going.

@Todd_Nilson went last year – are you going again Todd?

(Todd Nilson) #3

I won’t be going unless I can score a free ticket this year. It was a great event last year.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #4

Once again, I missed a tag. Sorry for being MIA. I did indeed go to JiveWorld. INSANE amount of production at this event, but good content.

(Richard Millington) #5

@Kristen_Gastaldo what were your main takeaways from it?

(chiprodgers) #6

It was a great event with a lot of people attending – I think the official number was around 2,000.

A few observations from my perspective:

• The timing of the Aurea announcement on Sunday night was awkward. I went to the partner session on Monday afternoon and messaging was not really worked out, so there were questions without answers. In addition some of the Aurea folks were there in the room without clear direction on where it goes from there.
  • The Aurea CEO came on stage in the partner summit and in the general session for a cameo in Eliza Steele’s opening keynote, but a lot of people had never heard of Aurea, so it was hard to digest. (This played out on Twitter and in analyst reports as well.)
  • Jive head of products Ofer Ben-David and his team gave a great presentation on the main stage about product direction, roadmap, upcoming release dates, etc. which was well received, but again with question marks about whether Aurea will continue to invest or if they’d have a different perspective on future strategy.
  • I heard from a number of Jive folks that said it was tough internally because many in their teams were not in Las Vegas and of course had a ton of questions. But leadership was all in Vegas in front of customers, so they didn’t have time to communicate and calm nerves.
  • The partner showcase was unfortunately pretty sparse. Around 8-10 partner pods. It was always busy because catering was in the same room and they had entrances to some of the sessions in the same room as well, so it looked fine, but it’s probably worrisome that they were not able to sell more partner sponsorships.
  • Sessions themselves were really good. They had a balance of customer case stories, Jive product sessions, and industry analyst sessions on best practices, selling the value of community, industry trends, etc.
  • Since Lithium is no longer having their customer conference, JiveWorld seems to be the lone “community event” out there for enterprise communities. (Other than maybe the emerging CMX event, but I understand that’s more for the SMB market… not sure, but if anyone’s been and could comment, that would be great.)

Overall, it was a worthwhile event for me personally. There were a ton of community folks there for opportunities to reconnect, meet new people, and get a sense of the overall direction for the space.

Let me know your thoughts as well!
Chip

(Sarah Hawk) #7

@Suzi_Nelson ?

(Kristen Gastaldo) #8

I learned quite a bit from the conference, but there were some expected themes - things we’ve heard for years:

Have an advocates program/recognize and reward said advocates
Align your goals with the higher ups to get buy in
Be able to prove your/the community value

I did think it was odd that there seems to only be two types of communities there - those that had TONS of money, staff, and support and those that had well, minimal.

There were a lot of data-driven presentations there. A lot of people really digging into their communities and making decisions based on metrics. Sadly a lot of them are using external services to get these numbers out of their platform.

One thing I’m trying to get on board with is that just because the number isn’t exactly right, doesn’t mean it can’t be useful. I tend to get REALLY hung up on “well, how do they define active? and are active users and participating users in the same count?!” Quite a few presentations used the data they had - although it wasn’t perfect - to make some decisions.

I think my favorite of the presentations was a learning community that really handed power over to the members. They were doing several learning events on their own every month, but they eventually recognized that the members are the power users and empowered them to host their own sessions. I think they ended up with 4x the number of sessions/content. They had to do a bit of CSS work to facilitate things on the platform (nothing seemed to be out of the box at the conference, it seems), but had great results.