Is it a good idea to have release updates in a community?

challenges

(Laleh moli) #1

to get the question clear I need to talk about some history, and it’ll make the post long. thanks for reading it! :smiley:

1. If you are familiar with open source software project, you’ve had seen a release document every while. one of the best examples is the one for discourse team. e.g. look at this post and the following replies by the team.
    this type of documentation has several benefits, the most important one for the community side is building the trust.

2. if you’re familiar with scrum methodology, you may know about daily meetings where the team is describing what they’re on and what they have done. there exists also grooming and planning sessions.
    These all help the team to be aware of everything about what’s going on. that is somehow equivalent to mastery to the overall picture as well as details, in my point of view.

now my questions are something like this:

• is it a good idea to list steps regarding the building a community, assuming that the whole community can be like a team, or an open source content-builder?

• if you also think it is, then what kind of a feature list can suits the community (please read point 1)?

point 1: It’s so much easier to list a feature list rather than a tactic list or marketing steps or other steps needed to build and maintain a community. but it’s still possible to do that.

(Alessio Fattorini) #2

I’ve been doing it for a while.
My members appreciate it because are simple and clear. Changelogs are understood just by devs
Take a look at:

(Laleh moli) #3

thanks for sharing,

if I’m not wrong the updates are still software-type, and not community-management type.

my main question is about an update-topic that describes the community goal and strategies, or the community tactics that are going to be covered in near future. e.g.:

• goal: increase good quality answers
  • tactic: develop a top-user program
  • tasks: 1) develop the corresponding docs 2) decides for the conditions 3) contact those who pass the criteria 4)…

is it good doing such thing?

I ask this since when you’re developing a software, it’s all about features and tools. but when you’re developing a community, it’s more about humans! and it’s a little bit strange to talk about plans you have for other humans!

(Alessio Fattorini) #4

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Are you looking for something like that?

(Richard Millington) #5

I’m broadly a fan of sharing the roadmap with members.

The important thing though is to talk about what you will do for them, not what you want them to do for you.

So focus on all the initiatives you want to do for the community (some will involved their help). But don’t about trying to get members to do stuff, I suspect that’s where the awkwardness will seep in.

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Love that: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/04/11/mapping-the-journey-ahead/
Thanks for the inspiration

(Richard Millington) #7

@gali does a pretty awesome job at SAP.

Wish I could figure out her to create more time so she could share more of her expertise here :slight_smile:

(Laleh moli) #8

Thanks for the community-overview-links @ale_fattorini :+1: they were inspiring, especially the real data you shared with the community. have you asked how your users feel about this kind of sharing? or have you tracked any indicator to see if it has any affect on them?

btw, I didn’t get the sap link. what’s going on? I just saw some css code.

the community calendar is also a good point, introduced by Richard :smile: it’s more logical to talk about things to be waiting for rather than things planed or expected from users.