Introvert or extrovert – what works best in community?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I manage a UX community and there have been lots of discussions around intro/extroversion.

It would seem that the majority of UXers are introverts, but that works well for them because of their natural tendency towards an empathetic and thoughtful approach to projects and interactions.

What about community? Are you an introvert or an extrovert, and which aspects of that ‘personality type’ do you think are strengths in our job?

(Mark Baldwin) #2

I think I’m an Ambivert. :slight_smile: either that or I have a spilt personality.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Do you think Ambivert should be a thing, or that everyone has some aspects of both, but that you swing more one way than the other?

Which part does the community management?

(Mark Baldwin) #4

Oh I definitely think an ambivert is a real definition. The ability to switch between the two types depending on the situation shows that you can’t pigeon hole some people. I think knowing when to be more introverted is something to be embraced.
The community manager is the extrovert in me.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

That’s fair. (Although I think even the most extroverted people get shy sometimes.)

(Jennifer Zowada) #6

I agree with this, for the most part I am an extrovert but I have times when I’m completely introverted. Environment and the personalities in it are also a factor in this.

(Nick Emmett) #7

I think I agree here with @Mjbill - I have a bit of both that become apparent in certain situations - however - I’m fairly sure that people probably have a default. I think my default is that of an introvert - I’m very often uncomfortable in groups and very much more comfortable in my own company.I think I’m pretty good at hiding that when I’m in uncomfy situations - sometimes to the extent where I probably seem like an extrovert.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

I’m the opposite. I dislike being alone and would rather be in a group (my bf would say ‘have an audience’).

I wonder if the split is even or whether one personality type gravitates more towards this job than another.

(Mark Baldwin) #9

For me, working in the games industry and also mixing my job with some PR and Marketing work, I get to meet all kinds of people and it’s important to push myself to be more outgoing than I normally am but over time it’s kind of shaped/moulded me into a more confident person in certain situations. However, some game industry parties just make me shrink back into my comfort zone where I seek out a few people I know well and get quietly merry in a corner. :slight_smile: