Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)

introductions

(Scott Lee) #363

Hi Sarah, yes our communities can stretch all round the world, for example we have community for a HK based airline that interacts with its customers in US, UK, China, Australia, and Asia. I am just going to reccomend this forum to some of our community managers, hopefully they will find it interesting too!

(Sarah Hawk) #364

Excellent! Please do. :slight_smile:

(Caitlin Neiman) #365

Oh yay! It was so nice to see the love from the note cards. Thank you for saying hi and I hope our paths cross soon at Mozilla!

(Lisa Cox) #366

Thanks Sarah! Currently I am in the business plan phase. Distilling down my offering and clearly defining it. Its a matter of setting aside (for now) all the tangential ideas that pop into my head, and focusing on the core message and purpose. There are so many great people working in this space, and my goal is to address a specific niche and need.

Thank you for the contacts. I will be reaching out to all of them. I have to say Breastcancer.org was my safe place during treatment. They are AMAZING!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Lisa

(Sarah Hawk) #367

Good approach. A very narrow focus is important.

Let us know if you need any support along the way. I look forward to hearing more.

(Audrey Stevenson) #368

Hi Sarah!

I’m one of a team of community managers working on the SAP Community (formerly known as SAP Community Network, or SCN), which is SAP’s external online community (open and free).

I’ve handled all sorts of roles in the community context, including content strategy, editorial, moderation, and more. For the last three years, I’ve been working in the area of gamification and reputation in our community. We’ve designed a new Reputation Program and are on the cusp of rolling it out.

I am looking foward to participating in the Strategic Community Management course starting in January. I know I will learn a lot!

Regards,
Audrey

(Sarah Hawk) #369

Hi Audrey – thanks for jumping straight in.

I know your work well. We’re also lucky enough to have @jtcarboni here.

That sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it.

(Mohammad Sedighi) #370

I am working as a researcher on Enterprise Social Networks domain.

Further, I am working as an advisor for some companies to design knowledge communities or knowledge networks among employees.

I like to share my experiences with others and get feedback from them :slight_smile:

(Jenny Sutherland) #371

Cheers! Sorry for a late reply, had an unplanned hospital stay oops
Youtube streamers often use the application called Discord for our communities when not live - fantastic app

I loooove talking about my perspectives :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to getting stuck in!

(Mohammed Rafy) #373

Hola…

Name is Mohammed Rafy.
Yes… I work as a community manager in DoSelect. It’s the developer platform to improve coding skills in various tech domains.

Also, I would like to connect with people who engage with their own developer community.

Cheers.

(Sarah Hawk) #374

Welcome Mohammed.
In a past life I managed a dev community for sitepoint.com
Always happy to chat.

(Shreyas) #375

Welcome to FeverBee Experts! Good to see you here! :smiley:

(Mohammed Rafy) #376

Thanks.

(Travis King) #377

Always exciting to take a new community out for a test drive. Have fun! :smiley:

(tophee) #378

Hi, I’m Christoph. I’m a social scientist trying to build an online community about my favourite research subject: meetings. The idea is to not just bring together meeting researchers from various disciplines and from across the globe but to also include meeting practitioners (which, I guess is pretty much everyone).

As many of you know (maybe not those of you managing a support forum for some product), the big challenge is to accumulate a critical mass of users and once people have signed up, to get them to make their first post.

Having signed up for the FeverBee forum has already given me some insights about what kind of resistances I’m facing: Being a newcomer in running an online forum, I probably belong to the core target group of the forum. Nevertheless, I have spent rather little time here and probably wont be hanging out a lot more here in the future, simply because I’m already more than busy with my day job and can’t afford to spend a lot of time browsing a forum with no clear objective.

My point being: my users are probably in about the same situation. So this means, I need to provide them with content that they find directly useful and perhaps some discussions that they find interesting and will want to follow out of curiosity. And even then, they will not be frequent visitors. But that’s okay, once I have a large number (probably more than 1000), but until then some hard work will have to be done… (I’m just over 100 now) :sweat:

(Sarah Hawk) #379

Ha. Love this.

Yup – that’s the challenge. People hang around as long as they have questions, but then if you don’t hook them with relationships or FOMO they don’t stick around.

One of the best tactics that I know is to keep a database of skills or interests and regularly tag or invite people back into posts so that they form a habit and feel valued.

(tophee) #380

Aaargh :dizzy_face:

Oh no! So much money but only official plugins?

But I saw that Commonmark will support abbreviations natively:

(Sarah Hawk) #381

I did that just to mess with you :wink:

You have to go with Enterprise to get unlimited plugins. It’s frustrating but I understand. The amount of work that would have to go into making sure people didn’t break their installs (and take down others on the droplet) would be massive and ongoing.

(Richard Millington) #382

I think you nailed your own challenge here. This community usually works because it’s a job for most people. That also helps make it part of their identity. Which is a really powerful thing.

Meetings are going to be so much harder to build a community around as it doesn’t have the affinity, mass relevancy, or support-based nature of the community. You might instead want to build a community around a clearer goal - such as efficiency experts or being more productive at work and focus on that angle.

But just meetings alone will be a struggle (although I hope I’m wrong!)

(tophee) #383

I can’t tell whether they’re harder or not as I have no comparison, and you might be right that there is no natural affinity between all the diverse groups that I’m trying to attract. But I’d say that at least some of them have quite some affinity/collective identity, e.g. facilitators or the emerging profession of meeting designers. Plus there is something we might call dormant or potential affinity among many people: having studied meetings for 10 years, I have often experienced situations that people have a lot to say about meetings once you raise the issue. The thing is that people don’t usually raise the issue. So that’s precisely the point with this forum: to provide a space where these conversations can be had. And to create links across existing meetings related affinities.

And I’d say you’re wrong about mass base and support.

Mass base: do you know anybody who doesn’t participate in any meetings? And even if you don’t count all the people who “only” participate and just look at people who organize and/or facilitate/chair meetings, if that’s not a mass base, then I don’t know what is.

Support: Yes, maybe not in the narrow sense of “here is my product and here is an entire forum to assist you with any questions you may have” but very much so if you think support in terms of “how can I improve this or that aspect of my meetings” or “what do I need to consider when organizing a meeting with Chinese, Australian and German participants?” And I’m completely ignoring examples related to social scientists studying meetings here.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean by “affinity” or “the community”?

Anyway, so if I’ve “nailed my challenges” , then I don’t think they can be summarised in those terms…

BTW: how does your mass base argument fit with this: https://www.feverbee.com/appeal/ ?