Internal-Facing Enterprise Communities

challenges

(Tori Zinger) #1

Hey, all!

I manage both an external/customer-facing community and an internal/private enterprise community. There are hundreds of resources out there for increasing engagement in external-facing communities, but hardly anything to do with driving engagement for internal-facing communities.
The resources I have found for internal-facing communities all have to do with running a community for a single company, whereas I run a community for an automotive manufacturer that has thousands of dealership franchises whose employees access the community. Thus, suggestions such as “emphasizing/catering to the company mission statement” aren’t really relevant or applicable for me, since each dealership is run as its own company.

Any suggestions, links to resources, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

What you’re describing is a potential audience of thousands, that puts you pretty much in the same ballpark as most external facing b2b communities.
I suggest you treat it as an external facing community (including, maybe, allowing public signups if that’s possible); albeit with a limited audience.

(Tori Zinger) #3

The problem is that when people talk about external-facing/public communities, they tend to talk in terms of sales conversion, attracting customers, etc. The same is true when discussing ROI measurements. These things really don’t apply or translate to internal/private communities in the same way.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #4

No, that is true.

What does your boss want you to do? What is he reporting on? :slight_smile:

(Robert McIntosh) #5

Not necessarily. There are many types of communities. What you might be looking for are similar to ‘Engagement’ models for community. Check out the CMX SPACE(I) model for example:

As @Bas_van_Leeuwen says, think about what value you are after (and specifically what you are being evaluated on)