If you were designing a new platform today

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

An open thought experiment after discussions with a few of you recently.

Looking at the current major trends in technology:

1. Mobile / full accessibility.
  2. Voice search
  3. Blockchain
  4. Crowdsourcing
  5. Machine learning
  6. Streaming data in real time.
  7. Tracking etc…

If you were designing a new community platform today from the ground up, what would it look like? What features would you cut? What would you keep from existing platform?

Are the current community platforms fit for purpose?

(Mark Williams) #2

The only one there that I don’t have an idea of how to use in my grand unicorn community platform is blockchain. Just not sure how it ties in. I understand it in a general, mathy, way, but how it helps a non-distributed community, I’m not sure. If we were to consider the concept of distributed identity and community, blockchain could be interesting, but then it breaks with that ‘streaming data in realtime’ bit. Really, I could go on for hours on this topic, but I need to go pick up a child from school.

(Richard Millington) #3

Rhanks @mdfw,

One of the platforms I’ve been fascinated by recently is Figure1.

The ability to take photos, post it as a question, and get rapid feedback feels pretty interesting.

Another is steemit. I don’t think they’ve perfected the model yet (and putting financial incentives in a community is always hard to predict), but I wonder if there’s a model here for a mobile-first platform like Figure1 where every accepted or useful answer by the recipient earns, say, $0.50 from the person who asked the question.

This could then also increase over time.

(Robert McIntosh) #4

I still believe that there is potential for “value exchange” to be at the core of a community and that members’ participation and role in building and maintaining a community should be rewarded (have you not felt slightly cheated when a business that you also helped to build as an active participant sells for billions, but you get absolutely nothing? Yes, you had access to a platform, but what would twitter / instagram / facebook / etc. be without that content?)

I will check out steemit in more detail, but at first glance it fails because the community is ABOUT making money and therefore opens itself up to manipulation and gaming, and attracts only a certain type of participant.

What I think is that Community Currencies have great potential, and if your contribution can generate value for yourself and the community at large, then it should be beneficial, but it needs to start with real community first, not money first.

I commented on this in a previous thread here in fact:

Of course this is just one element. I am not yet sure about the broader picture for the future community platform. It will almost certainly involve AI and machine learning in order to filter and integrate the exchange of information (and value) with a network of trusted peers. I also imagine that as the complexity of that interaction data increases it will be impossible for us to handle it individually so we will have to rely on machine algorithms to manage those communities and interact with them.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #5

Rather than $, I do like the ability to put a bounty on questions. I think for communities that enjoy the point system, this could work well.

(Xhevair Maskuli) #6

I think it really depends on the focus of the community… B2B, B2C, C2C and the use cases hoping to be solved. Having one platform that could potentially meet all use cases, will either be:

1. Terrible from a UI/UX perspective
  2. Incredibly complex and difficult to manage
  3. Require a lot of custom code
  4. Way to expensive to maintain and have a viable market

I think capabilities that can be tied to value creation (whether B2B or B2C) around a use case are the most important to have available when thinking about a unicorn platform.