Identify the source of an increasing activity

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

Although we are having momentum in our community in the last month, I can’t have a grasp of what’s the source of such activity. Is it coming from old users or new? Have I a lot of lurkers who are activating or new participants are making a lot of activity just from the beginning?
What I see is that my “logged in users” aren’t increase so much, not as the posts rate. This suggests me the first hypothesis: old users
Do you have any hint? I’m using Discourse and I have access to a bunch of statistics

(Rob Bosch) #2

First of all: be happy with this result! It looks great!
Maybe you can dig a bit deeper into these numbers and look if this extra activity is generated under influence of our Ambassadors. On slack we do encourage each other to leave no topics unanswered. Also some topics are highlighted to respond to by the more expert users. IF the activity can be pointed towards Ambassador activity, it would mean a huge result for the ambassador program and a reason to keep going in that direction.
Another possible option that I can think of, is the community activity around beta testing the new release of NethServer. I think a lot of new discussions are about NS7.

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

This could help, we started the ambassador group 1 month ago. It is sorted by post
If you take way me and devs, in the first 10 positions we have 7 ambassadors

(Rob Bosch) #4

@HAWK, @richard_millington, What is your opinion on this?

(Sarah Hawk) #5

It’s always exciting to see jumps like that. :slight_smile:

I’d hang fire before spending too much time on analysis though – a month could just be a blip.

I guess (as Rob says) it could also be a reflection of your newly launched ambassador program. Those people will be off with a bang. If you can sustain that activity for the coming months then I think you could claim success. That said – it doesn’t explain the rise in new participants.

Are registrations following the same trend?

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Nope, registrations and logged in users didn’t follow the same trend. New participants are due, I guess, to a new release but they don’t explain the bump,
I can’t differentiate old users activity from new ones.
Some queries of Discourse might help @Jay_Pfaffman @mcwumbly?

(Sarah Hawk) #7

You can do that by downloading your userlist, pulling out the members that registered in the last month, and then sorting by post count. That will give you the number of new registrations that posted.

(Alessio Fattorini) #8

Good hint! I’ll give it a try soon

(Alessio Fattorini) #9

Now I have: Posters 32
Total Posts: 181

October: 1849
September 1174
26% of the posts comes from new users and the other 74% from older users :slight_smile:

How can I count posts in last month by a group of users? So I can get how much of the 75% was generated by my ambassadors :slight_smile:
Am I right?

(Sarah Hawk) #10

If there are only 32 posters you could prob just scan the spreadsheet to see how many are ambassadors, I would have thought. Unless I’m misunderstanding your question.

(Sarah Hawk) #11

Did you figure this one out @ale_fattorini ?
Is the trend continuing?

(Alessio Fattorini) #12

Nope, it’s pretty stable now but we have a good pace anyway :slight_smile: 400/450 posts every week
and around 125 users monthly engaged (like + posts)