I have a new shiny toy.... Discourse! Now, how do I customize it?

(Nigel Amyes) #1

I’ve read many great things about Discourse and think it will definitely be a vast improvement on what we have been using so far. I just need to figure out how we can customise it and make it look pretty for our members before we go ahead and connect it to our members portal.

Can anyone suggest a great source to help out on the customisation front? maybe I have missed something on the discourse site… not sure. I have very little coding ability, however, I’m sure my developers can come to the rescue on that front… just need an idea of whats possible and how to attack it.

Thanks all!

(Alessio Fattorini) #2

This article by @alex_bowen would help you

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Yay Discourse!

The #howto category on Meta has heaps of info scattered around which will be helpful.

I’ve also shared quite a lot of the code I wrote to customise this place in this topic.

But essentially you can customise the CSS, HTML and JS in any way you like so if you have a front-end person, let them at /admin/customize/themes

(Nigel Amyes) #4

Brilliant! thanks @ale_fattorini and @HAWK I’ll see if I can make things happen… if I break something I’ll pass it back to our developers

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Use the preview function – that way you should be safe.

And work slowly and incrementally. If you add a new line and something breaks, commenting it out again will revert.

(Nigel Amyes) #6

:+1: I’ll let you know how it all goes.

(Richard Millington) #7

Hey @nigel_a

One (minor) suggestion might be an idea to change the topic of this actually to focus on the question you want an answer too.

I didn’t click on it for a while because I wasn’t sure what the question is :slight_smile:

(Nigel Amyes) #8

Hey @richard_millington ahhh yes! I’ve changed the topic slightly… good point! Thanks