How useful is it to connect with others in the same community type?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’m aware that we don’t utilise groups here at all. Is this community a place that you come to for information/discussion, or is networking also important?

Would it be valuable to be able to identify and connect with other members that work in a similar industry or community type to you?

Connect with others that run the same type of online community as you
Measuring reading engagement with the Discourse Data Explorer plugin
(ForumSentinel) #2

I think connecting with similar industry members would be quite helpful, at the very least to “compare notes” on handling the same general interests.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

When you say “industry” do you mean community type (i.e. community of practice, support community) or do you mean health/retail/education etc?

(I assume the latter, but want to make sure I’m understanding.)

(ForumSentinel) #4

I would say health/retail/education. There are a couple community specific forums I frequent (this one and Admin Zone) but nothing really in the way of topic niches (vs role/job niches). Even more specifically those with communities and e-commerce sections since that usually requires more special handling.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Ok, that’s useful info – thanks. I’ll put some thought into the easiest way to collect that data.

(Nick Emmett) #6

Hey @HAWK, it’s not something I’ve particularly missed here but I do think there’s value in groups based around probably everything you mention, whether it’s community type etc or Industry based - why not have both, sometimes questions might be relative to one or both? I think there’s definite value in the networking element - it was quite interesting at the SPRINT workshop earlier in the year when @richard_millington realised how many people in the event were from internal communities, considerably higher than the previous year. Sometimes the approach is different to achieving the same end game when the audience is different in such a way.

Having said that, I don’t think it’s been too difficult up to now to keep tracks of who’s who and where they work and what they do. In general anyway.

So my answer is yes, there’s value in it I think, but I haven’t particularly missed it here.

(Richard Millington) #7

I was quite surprised by this too. Might see if we can add some option to eventbrite to capture this information.

One of the interesting things about ‘community type’ is how most people tend to define what they do. In my book I mentioned the more academic framework of community of place, practice, action, interest, and circumstance. But I’m finding more and more that very few people (except possible CoP practitioners) define themselves that way.

The most common is B2B, B2C, internal / KM com, and hobbyist (or personal) communities.

So maybe the latter is a better framework for this? As much as I’d love the more academic (and accurate) stance to win through, the sector seems to be more definitive for most people.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

Agreed on all counts.

Community type dropdown changed (and made compulsory which means you won’t be able to save other profile changes without completing it).

Does this cover the list of industries?:

Agriculture
Health/Pharmaceutical
Technology
Education
Energy
Entertainment
Finance
Hospitality
Manufacturing
Media
Telecommunications

(Nick Emmett) #9

Looks good @HAWK - just thinking about the (fairly) large number of people from gaming in here, do you think that warrants its own category?

(Richard Millington) #10

I wouldn’t personally go this granular at this point.

Given the small size of this group and the small differences between most types, I’d go at the higher level.

Namely the B2B, B2C, Non-profit, KM/CoP, and maybe Innovation level.

There are some very specific issues in some sectors, e.g. healthcare and HIPPA etc…(maybe gaming too), but most are very similar in their work.

(Alessio Fattorini) #11

How do you define realities as Open Source Communities? Technology? Innovation?

(Kath Reuben) #12

Personally, I’d find it very useful to be able to have groups defined by specific community type (versus industries). My greatest challenge has been finding other B2B community managers, especially those who have been involved from the initial build out and launch. Many of the events/discussions/meetings I’ve been involved in feel very specific to B2C and sustaining existing communities, which is very different to my day to day challenge.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

That part is done and can be set via your preferences. As soon as we have a couple of them set, I’ll pull the data and form a group.