How To Get People To Join, Visit, And Stay Engaged In Your Brand’s Online Community

(Richard Millington) #1

Originally published at: https://www.feverbee.com/engaged/
At our New York workshop last week, we set aside 90 minutes to tackle problems put forward by participants. In situations like this, it’s really tempting to focus on the solution. Everyone wants to know the solution to their problem…at least until the next problem arises. Learning the solution isn’t anywhere near as useful as learning the process to find the solution. Once you learn the process, you can quickly identify the solutions to your own problems. We’ve covered this before, but here is a basic process to stimulate some thinking with some new updates. If you want more people…

(Alessio Fattorini) #2

Ehi Rich, one of the best post ever read. You never cease to amaze me.
My main goal is write post so helpful also for my community/project

(Parker Harris) #3

Really great info! Thanks for breaking this down.

(Richard Millington) #4

Thanks.

One of the things I’m testing at the moment is whether people prefer short doses of advice or long-form articles.

I’m very much on the fence at the moment, but keen to see what the data says in a month or so.

Eager to get your thoughts.

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Both, you should try to balance long and short form. I haven’t always time for long articles, the need more attention even if they are more helpful. Short doses are better for daily posts.

(Bo McGuffee) #6

Same here. Sometimes I skip over longer posts due to time. But I come back to them later.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

My gut feel (with no data to back it up) is that the long form stuff is valuable for people in the future doing research, rather than for our daily readership that consume as you produce.

(Richard Millington) #8

I wish I had time to do both. Unfortunately I don’t at this point. So I’ve got to pick one or the other.

I was thinking about this. It suggests the ROI is probably higher for longer-term. Since people undertaking research are more likely to have a key purpose in mind that we can help with. I’ve become slightly skeptical about the value of short posts at the moment.

(Alessio Fattorini) #9

If you need to make a choice, choose the long form and post it less frequently

(Richard Millington) #10

this is what we’re testing at the moment for a month. Will see how it impacts the stats.

(Claudius Henrichs) #11

A bit meta discussion in the comments here, but out of curiosity: What was the long term impact of your long vs short content test last summer? In particular since the theory was that longer content would provide value longer term and potentially be referenced more. Did this manifest for you?

(Sarah Hawk) #12

@richard_millington – closing the loop on this discussion.
Did you ever analyse our data to find out which content form was more successful?

(Suzanne Dulin) #13

I’m curious about this too. In forums I have been in, one of the most valuable things is that they format long posts better than Facebook. A really good writer can share a lot in a long post, and the format of a forum is more interactive than a blog post with comments. I feel like long posts can be really great, but I’m interested in knowing what the data says.

(Richard Millington) #14

I haven’t see any extra traffic or benefits from writing longer posts
compared to short one, but it wasn’t a conclusive test. Part of the
challenge is best use of time. The more time I spent on 2k+ word posts, the
harder it became to do other work.