How to get Employee and Customer Engagement - Answering Questions

engagement

(Chris Detzel) #1

I have a lot of great questions being asked on the community, but I need my experts to go in and answer some of the questions. Any best practices on how to get Employee (experts) and customers to answer these great questions?

Incentives - I’m doing some of that.
Goals- it’s not in anyone’s goals to do it, but I’m trying to change that, takes time!

(Cathy Liu) #2

Hi Chris,
I have the same question as currently I am managing a technical support external community, and I constantly try to get more technical people to answer questions. What I have tried to get my support engineers to involve is to do a training video outlining the benefits of being a contributor (community helps them to promote their blog and their knowledge articles cut down the amount of support cases and answering questions help them to become subject matter expert). Also, I give out ‘Thank you’ and ‘Nice Work’ badge to members who I invited to answer technical questions. Love to hear some other great ideas from other community managers.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Hey both,
There are a couple of discussions here that might be helpful:

Those do tend to focus on getting employees to share content, rather than answer questions though, so your challenge might be slightly different.

What about starting a miniature super-user program? Get together a handful of experts that are keen to help and work with them to seed a highly motivated group.

(Cathy Liu) #4

Hi Sarah,
Thank you so much for sharing. I love your “super-user program” idea. Do you mind sharing what are some internal motivators that may work with super-users? We tried to select three employees who are active community members (based on their posts/shared documents) and congratulate them during town hall. But haven’t done too much as HR is very careful on giving out gift cards and other monetary incentives.

Thanks.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Sure thing.

In community superuser programs, incentives fall into 4 broad categories – visual recognition, financial incentives/gifts, exposure/recognition, and access to the brand. Given that we’re talking employees in your case, some of these won’t apply, but I’ll give you my exhaustive list for posterity (below).

The key to finding rewards that work lies in finding out what motivates the group in question. What is it that the engineers aspire to? Being better than each other? Do a leaderboard. Building their reputation in the wider space? Feature them in a blog post or on social media as a ‘person to watch’. Advancing their learning? Give them half a day off to do a course.

Visual Recognition
Badges or special avatars for online profiles
An online hall of fame or recognition directory
An alumni hall of fame (for past members)
Extra kudos weight (applies to Lithium based communities)
Logo to display on a member’s website or email signature
Shout-outs on social media

Financial incentives and gifts
Swag (branded clothing, bags, stickers, accessories etc)
Sponsored meals or parties
In-app credit or vouchers
Workshops, events, conferences, holidays
Discount of seller’s (or similar) fees
Discounted education or certification

Exposure or special/VIP treatment
Support to become thought leaders
Opportunities to speak at public events
Access to tweet from official accounts
Invitations to write content
VIP treatment or priority seating at events
Featured spots or profiles on blogs or websites
Option to participate in case studies or media opportunities
Advance warning of price or product changes

Access to the brand
Feeling listened to an acknowledged by the brand
Access to inside information
Forum moderated rights
Direct feedback mechanisms
Access to beta products
Signing NDAs (makes members feel important)
Early access to proprietary information
A direct line of communication to the organisation or community team

Rolling Out a Moderator Program
(Cathy Liu) #6

Thank you for sharing. Will digest and see what will work with my community.