How To Announce Your New Community

(Grace Cheung) #1

We’re looking to launch our new community in just a few weeks, and I am working on our communication plans. Along with social media posts, I am writing out an email and blog post to welcome current users to try out our new community. I’m wondering if anyone is willing to send examples to me of their own community launch announcements or other channels they used? I am uncertain how to start writing my copy right now and would love to see some examples to get my brain going!

(Richard Millington) #2

Hi @gcheung28

What do you have in the community right now?

Before you announce any launch, make sure you have a decent number of people already actively participating there. That way you’re not sending a huge number of people to an empty site and ruining that first impression. Don’t announce a launch until you’ve managed to get at least a few people actively participating there. This is one of the biggest mistakes people make.

Also plan this as a drip campaign over a series of time. Don’t focus on the community itself, focus on amazing things happening inside the community. No-one is looking for a community right now, they’re looking for solutions to their problems. So promote the solutions which have emerged in your community.

For the messages itself. Focus on what emotion you want people to feel. Relieved? Excited? Respected? And write the messages accordingly. Keep them short and direct. Avoid anything that sounds like a cliche or a platitude.

To simplify:

1. Make sure you have active discussions and interesting stuff happening in the community today

2. Decide what emotion you need people to feel (talk to the people that do participate and uncover how they feel about it)

3. Plan a drip-email campaign (1 or 2 emails per week) highlighting something happening inside the community that amplifies that emotion. Begin with the single biggest thing taking place.

4. Avoid announcing ‘we have a community now’ and anything of that ilk. These messages tend to turn people off pretty fast.

Hope that provides some help.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #3

Adding to all the great stuff Richard has posted above I would say take the first few weeks and do one on one recruiting for your community. As CMGR you should have your finger on the pulse of the community. Invite people personally (virtually that is). Such as social influencers, Top customers, advocates etc… (all depends on the industry and goal of your community)

Best of luck. You are a few months ahead of me… so let us know what worked best!

(Grace Cheung) #4

@richard_millington great advice, thank you! We sort of had a community set up already but it was just a support community and the forums weren’t very active other than with people complaining about a bug they were experiencing. We’re trying to revitalize the community by migrating to a new platform and doing more with our users online and offline. Providing solutions to people’s problems is definitely a message I need to keep in mind as we go into this.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

I’m really interested in this @gcheung28. It sounds like you’re essentially starting again with a new concept.

Have you already communicated the change to the existing members and if yes, are they changing their behaviour?