How should I set up my social media accounts?

(Keely Maitland) #1

I am setting up a blog and forum that will be a resource for an online community. Eventually I would like to offer my consulting services and other products on that site. I would also like to promote myself and my knowledge to prospective hiring managers now.

My question is, so that I can achieve the above, should I create my social media accounts in my name or the name of my company - or both? If you could explain your thinking that would help me greatly. At present I only have a LinkedIn account in my name.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I think it depends on a the nature of the business and the type of consultancy. If there is a chance that the business might expand to include other consultants in the future, then a business account makes sense.

This business began as @richard_millington and now there are several of us. We all have individual SM accounts as well as a business one. Rich cross posts a lot of his content to both accounts.

(Richard Millington) #3

Hi @keelym,

My belief on this is that most corporate accounts are largely a waste of
time and resources. People prefer to interact with people. We have a
twitter/FB account (my team forced me), but we really don’t use them much.
Instead all members of the team have their own accounts and are free to
post anything they like (that doesn’t clearly hurt the business).

Personally, I use Twitter/LinkedIn for business and cross-post content
there. My Facebook/Instagram are private. I may occasionally post in a
community Facebook group using my FB account, or comment on a blog via FB
for convenience, but it’s fairly rare.

If you’re just starting out, focus it entirely upon you and your personal
brand. As it expands, so can you.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Rich and I disagree on this one. :smile:
In the case of FeverBee, I agree. Only a small percentage of our traffic comes from social (partly because we put very little effort in) so there is little value.

I’ve worked for brands in the past where that was definitely not the case. Is your primary goal here to drive traffic to your site, or to advertise your personal brand?

(Keely Maitland) #5

Thanks for the great discussion. It’s always good to get differing opinions.

To the question whether my primary goal is to drive traffic to the site or to advertise my personal brand - my strategy is to make the site as useful as possible for relevant people so that they want to be there and then I can create/promote my services/products to them. When I started thinking about my site - organic organisations - I wanted to promote myself and my consulting services. Then I found out about online discussion groups and realised how well that concept fits with the concepts of organic organisations. There is an idea that some organisations subscribe to that the purpose of an organisation should be discovered and emerge over time through all the people who work there - rather than be controlled and dictated by the guys at the top. This is how I see organic organisations evolving with the members of the community.

So even though I will be blogging on the site I don’t want it to be all about me. At the same time I do want to promote my personal brand because at the moment it is pretty non-existent. I guess I’m sitting on the fence with regard to your question @HAWK about my primary goal.

I thought I would leave my LinkedIn in my name and probably have twitter in my name too. Google+, Youtube, facebook I would have in the company name. How does that sound?

(Sarah Hawk) #6

That is a lot of channels… unless there is a reason that you want a presence on all of them, I’d suggest picking 2 or 3 only. It’s unlikely that your demographic will be heavy users of all of them (I’d cut G+ and YouTube).

Often no presence is better than a graveyard.

(Alessio Fattorini) #7

I’m using things like buffer to post automatically on multiple social profiles. It works pretty good

(Richard Millington) #8

Agree with this.

Honestly, at this stage, I’d focus on just one single thing that you can do really, really, well. All the social media stuff comes later. That might be publishing regular white papers, creating expert content, introducing new ideas etc…

Even after 7 years, I’d estimate I spend less than 1% of my time on social media channels and the majority of my time researching and creating content. If you were to look at the superstars of any field, very, very, few of them spend any time at all on the social networking platforms.

At UNHCR, I managed the twitter account with 1m+ followers. We tested dozens, perhaps a hundred, different types of messages. None really converted well at all. A single powerful video though can spread incredibly far and incredibly well. So I’d focus on doing a single thing better than anyone else and then letting people talk about it without really needing to drive it.

So, what are you working on? Part 1
(Keely Maitland) #9

Thanks for the great discussion.

My intent is not to spend much time at all on social media and I was planning on using hootesuite or something like that to help manage it. I guess I had in my mind that the more places I get my content out to the better and if I can do it quite quickly and easily then why not? I suspect that it might not be as quick and easy as I have imagined.

I take on board Richard that I may be spreading myself too thin if I don’t focus on doing one thing really well and that should be creating great content. So I’ve decided to do just that. I’m going to use the social media accounts that I already have to promote my content and when I’m comfortable with that will look at other channels.