How often do you pretend to be a new member?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I got a PM from someone recently telling me how impressed they are with some of the features here, like the prompt to add an avatar if you’re using the default one. That made me laugh because I didn’t even know that feature existed.

I’ve been a ‘member’ of this community on this platform since well before launch so I haven’t been through the ‘new member’ experience.

That was a timely reminder to do so.

There are probably an equal number of frustrations that I’m not aware of which could be easily fixed.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #2

I was just thinking I need to create a dummy account with no permissions, just to check things from the member view …

(Mark Baldwin) #3

I’m a bit disappointed, I thought this thread was going to be about pretending to be a new member of the community in order to drive engagement. I love the idea, but it’s obviously far too risky. :slight_smile:

(Darren Gough) #4

it’s a great point. We often find with clients that rarely has a member of the team created a new account simply to walk through the new member onboarding process as a iterative improvement and development objective.

It’s amazing how often that one simple thing shows them a bunch of stuff about their member experience they didn’t realise. This is also important as communities might “tack on” development features as they go (maybe an updated spam avoidance module, or a bit of info required by law) but they rarely walk through the process to understand whether the new member finds it in a logical or useful place.

(Shreyas) #5

I think I have a small glitch here. Or maybe it’s just that I’m not sure how to do it. I don’t see the option to edit my Name/Username.
Not sure if it’s a bug or a feature :sweat_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Hahaha. Whilst entertaining, that goes against everything I believe in.[quote=“dun3buggi3, post:5, topic:3937”]
Not sure if it’s a bug or a feature
[/quote]

Correct – you can’t. We use SSO with WP so it’s not a user option. I can change it for you if you’d like. PM me.