How many options in a call-to-action?

(Dave Charbonneau) #1

Choices vs. One Clear Path.

In theory, if a person has two choices in a buying situation, we’re giving a buyer a choice between A and B, rather than A and not buying at all.

I’ve been thinking that my company’s fee-based offering is something I offer individuals after they are inside our community. But I’m wondering if to offer more than one option, possibly including my fee-based option.

My main introductions to the community will be through my talk show, social media promos, or at the end of a value presentation video used in marketing. Let me use the talk show as an example:

“You can connect with our guest and continue our discussion inside our community. We’ll see you there.”

Or something like, “Building a successful business doesn’t need to be as difficult as many make it out to be. If you’d like to accomplish more in less time, check out our 28 Days of Results™ program. And, if you’d like to continue this discussion or find an accountability partner for your project, meet us inside the SelfEnterpriser Community.”

I feel that our business revolves around our (upcoming) community. Membership is free, and, of course I’d like to see revenue sooner rather than later.

So, my questions:

Do you feel a dual offer is a better offer? Does having a second offering diminish the value of the other offering?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

First up, I am not a marketer. I’m struggling with these same kinds of questions, but I did some research into pricing models a while back and the general consensus seemed to be that 3 options is a good idea AKA the goldilocks effect.

Let’s also call in some people that ARE marketing experts.
@ArielleShnaidman @Anders_Alknes @Linda_Kyzar @Suzi_Nelson @Joe_Velez @JoeL

(Nick Emmett) #3

I also love 3 options, just because I love things in 3’s, as many people do.

On the flip side though - if there are only two real options, don’t just come up with one poxy one for the sake of it, they need to be three bona fide options.

(Suzi Nelson) #4

I work in marketing and here’s my three cents:

Only make one call to action at a time. More than one offer (heck, even more than one place to CLICK on a page) means fewer conversions (that is, people clicking on or doing the thing you actually want then to do).

Here’s an idea (that you will have to test on your audience, cause I don’t know enough about them):

Create a squeeze page for ONE offer, like for your 28 Days of Results program. Squeeze pages only have ONE button on them - a person either has to click yes or exit. It looks something like this:

^^ This is a “lead capture” squeeze page, so its a free offer in return for someone’s contact info, which is then used to retarget with relevant ads. You can read more about this concept here. << Full disclosure, this is the company I work for, but we specialize in teaching online marketing and this blog post has a really cool graphic that explains what I’m talking about.

About your dual offers: typically after you buy / sign up for something online, you are taken to a thank-you page. Use that page to introduce your NEXT offer (such as, join our group). Just make sure that the offers are congruent (i.e., if you’re interested in X, there’s no reason why you wont be interested in Y!)… for instance, if I am selling a training on how to write Facebook ad copy, a congruent offer might also be a training on how to set up Facebook ad retargeting.

Success of this is all dependent on your paid traffic (how you’re getting eyes to that squeeze page), your target audience (are the the right people to see it; are they familiar with you already), and your offers (how they are phrased, is the “whats in it for me?” apparent to your audience).

Let me know if you have any questions, I love nerding out about this stuff.

(Suzi Nelson) #5

Use your social media, talk show, and videos to familiarize your audience with you (branding), collect their info like email address or pixels, and the retarget them with the squeeze pages, and you have something cool there!

(Dave Charbonneau) #6

Thanks, @Suzi_Nelson (love it that you carry an Uzi packed away in your own name!), @Nick_Emmett, and @HAWK.

Suzi, my wife and I have used Instapage quite a bit for clients and our own projects. I know I can test stuff… but I am L.A.Z.Y. I’m so lazy I’m not even going to flesh out that acronym!

Ha! Not that I won’t test things; I’m just launching (tomorrow) this talk show, and wondering about others’ experiences.

What made my final decisions was this: Going through my presentation and ending up at the “Join the community so you can…” section/script. For me to then add, “Or, you can buy something from me” line didn’t feel right at all. So, market research is sometimes in the gut (especially for the self-enterpriser who just wants to do his/her thang, have fun doing it, and earn some money at the same time).

I’m still a fan of multiple options when there’s a buying decision (I’m guessing your company uses some form of this when people get to a purchase page? Am I right?)

Thanks to all, for your valuable comments and your encouragement.

Oh, and Suzi, on your most recent comment: I’ll be doing these things, plus I’ll have them in our community, where we have a consistent (soft sell, but consistent) offer for the 28-day program. Meanwhile we’ll be offering lots of value, too. Thanks, again.

(Suzi Nelson) #7

That’s great, Dave! It’s ALWAYS (always, always, always, 100% of the time) better to lead with value first. Give away as much as you can for free, and you’ll be amazing at the response when you’re ready to sell something :slight_smile: Good luck!!! I bet you’ll do awesome :smiley: