How many active users did you get in your first year of the community? (B2B)

challenges

(Julie Mullins) #1

Hi! I’m building a B2B community for my company and just want to learn from others and the expertise of Feverbee. The first thing I’m looking to learn is around metrics. For the group, I’d be interested to know in your first year of starting a B2B user community, how many people were you able to get as active users? (# and/or % of your customers). Any insight into your experience would be helpful! Thanks!

First time here? Welcome!
(Richard Millington) #2

Hi @julie_mullins,

Welcome to the community. I loved this question and split it into its own topic.

I’m sure other people can help here as well (notably @joecothrel

It really does depend on the kind of community you’re trying to build and the scope of the target audience. For example, how many contacts do you have right now?

As a very broad rule of thumb, we would tend to aim for 300 monthly posts, from 100 active members, with around 10 new registrations per day. However, if you’re building a customer support community, then it’s more reliant on how much web traffic you get today and how many people file customer support tickets.

I’d estimate around 5% to 10% of your current web traffic would register to join the community within the first few months. Then around 10% to 20% of them might participate. But it varies a lot.

Does this help? (anyone else, feel free to jump in).

(Kristen Gastaldo) #3

Hey Julie - I think it depends on what you put in your community and your goals. I used to run a support community for customers - so you had to have an account with us to login to the community. This means we didn’t have unlimited growth potential. We used it during implementation of the product and pitched it as the fastest support channel (before we rolled out chat), once you were live.

My goal was to have 1 customer from each organization as a member(100 organizations when we launched, 250 2 years later - about 2000 potential individuals used the product). After 6 months, we had 85% represented. Keeping those active was another story!

When we hit 1000 members, we had about 10-15% as active (doing more than logging in) in a 30 day period. Numbers jumped up around releases, new feature training, etc.

I would look at your potential numbers for growth (how many businesses, how many end users) and set goals around that. We also had goals around what we would do in the space - 2 blogs/week, 80% response rate in 24 hours, etc.

(Julie Mullins) #4

@richard_millington and @Kristen_Gastaldo - Thanks so much for the great info! Definitely food for thought.

I hope to combine customer support, communication, and recognition into a single community. Most importantly, I want the community to be a place for users to share best practices (like this thread!). I know they’ll engage through customer support with the tickets we already receive/respond to today, which seems like the best place to use the momentum and get them interested in sharing best practices, but it’s a change of behavior so I know that will take time.

Kristen and Richard, your stats are SUPER helpful, thank you!! These are good starting points for me since I’m in the early phases.

(Richard Millington) #5

@julie_mullins you’re welcome.

That’s a really great answer from @Kristen_Gastaldo too.

I’d stress it does vary a lot. For example, for us the sample is MUCH smaller in the community space so we have less members as a result.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #6

I would try to find something that is ONLY available in your community, since you’re looking to change some behavior. For us, we emailed everyone about upcoming releases, but only teasers. The actual details of the release, the place to sign up for the webinar, etc were only found in the community.

Depending on your size of community, I also made a cheat sheet of who worked in what area - so I could email them periodically with “so and so could use your advice, since you work in blah blah blah.” That whole “who do YOU” instead of “how to” tends to need a bit of prodding!