How identify returning members?

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

My community is product based, so many discussions are opened by new members who disappears after that
I’m working on retention as suggested by @richard_millington but I’d like to know how many of new members are returned after the first post
Which percentage of new members compared to the last month? How do you gather this?
Active or logged in members numbers are not enough, because there are also old members into them
Any idea?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I download the stats from Discourse into Sheets and count up all the new members for the month, then the new engaged members. I then subtract those numbers from all members, and all engaged members, which leaves behind those which were existing.

That doesn’t specifically tell me whether a member from last month reengaged this month, but without going through each member individually, I’m not sure there is a way to do that in Discourse.

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

How do you identify them?
Great, I’ll try your way as well.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

If you download your stats (/admin/users/list/active) into a spreadsheet and sort by date, you can isolate anyone that registered in the past month. Then sort those by post count and you’ll get all the ones that engaged.

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Making a recap, I have for the last month:
new 49
new engaged 25
total engaged 88
total 519
If i correctly understand:
519 - 49 = 470 ?
88 - 25 = 63 ?

Is it correct? Are you checking this value every month?

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Correct. You have 63 existing members engaging.

Yes, I check it each month. :smile:

(Alessio Fattorini) #7

Good, guess 470/63 should be my existing members engaging ratio

(Steve Bridger) #8

Our 12-year old member-only community…

First time posters make up 20-25% of those who contribute in any given month.

This figure is remarkably consistent.

I know that’s only half the story though.

(Richard Millington) #9

Do you think that’s because of churn or because you’re growing at an impressive rate?

(Steve Bridger) #10

Largely the former… but working on it :simple_wink:

(Richard Millington) #11

What are you doing at the moment? Be curious to hear what does/doesn’t work for you.