How do you handle discussions in stackoverflow?

Hi,
Is there anybody who is using stackoverflow’s tags to run their own community? for exampl: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/lithium

Please share your experience. What benefits do you get when using the stackoverflow web site for your communities? How do you manage them?

I’m using it as one part of my community. As for the experience, I don’t really have too much to say. It’s nice that it has a resolution feature, but it’s just not as popular with my audience as GitHub or our google group. Perhaps I need to make a greater push for adoption both internally and externally. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Ryan. In our case, we have a lot of conversations about our product in SO. However, the product team isn’t involved in them. I’m looking for ways to deliver key topics or something urgent to the product owners.

When users ask questions in Stackoverflow, do you think users expect to get a reply from the product team?

My hunch is that the user expectation on Stack Overflow is that other users will answer the question. This is obviously under the assumption that you already have your own community platform that is easily accessible and actively monitored by the team. With some of the developer communities that I’ve dealt with previously, we set up a weekly cadence of triaging the questions and then sending it over to whoever is the product owner. If the core team is already active on Stack Overflow, they can answer the questions directly. If not, the community manager posts on their behalf. The challenge with user driven communities is that there could be too many of them and it’s really difficult to listen to conversations about your product on each of these platforms and respond to them. Ideally, you’d want them to ask questions on your forum.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Monitoring questions by using the platform you own is more effective. That’s for sure. However, SO increases the brand awareness. And this is also great to have such resource.