How do you calculate the ideal number of champions your community should have?

Hi everyone,
are you targeting to grow the number of champions (superusers, external ambassadors, MVPs, etc) as your community grows? How do you calculate the ideal number of champions your community should have?

I get this question a lot of times and don’t have a good answer.

Today, I stumbled if this article from Richard https://www.feverbee.com/reduce-numbers/, which by the way has been my strategy for the past 4 years. But now, as the community grows, the Champions Program plays a major role in retention, but it also can bring impact on outreach as the best way to marketing for developers is to get someone they trust advocating for the product/community.
Thoughts?

Yes agree, we have also removed members to less than half what we used to. Similarly we are now looking at scaling back up as the community grows. Basically that’s easier to model now though that we have removed people.

Our core community purpose is support - answering customers’ questions and creating knowledge.

We can now benchmark our superusers’ contributions better - and we’ll look at our overall Service KPIs/SLAs (targets) and the growth projections in volume (as this will impact time to answer etc), and then we can consider our resource needs - between our staff and our superuser contributions.

This also allows us to put more concrete criteria in what a superuser needs to do to be involved, and continue doing to stay involved.

I’d also say that you may have separate superuser programmes, or subsets of the programme - with smaller numbers in each doing specific tasks and going after specific objectives - rather than one mass.

So your overall superuser numbers may grow, but they may contain mutually exclusive subsets with smaller numbers.

1 Like

Hey Vera,
From memory I touch on this in this resource https://www.feverbee.com/superusers/

2 Likes

Thank you for the sanity check Jamie. “separate superuser programs” is something that we are considering right now!

This is super useful Hawk. Thanks!

1 Like