How do you ask people how they like to get involved?

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

In my new Users Discourse list I see new members who have joined up lately, read a lot of posts and visit frequently.
I’d like to send them a personal welcome asking how they like to get involved. How can I do this effectively?
Do you have any template or example?

(Darren Gough) #2

Hi @ale_fattorini,

Great question - what does the onboarding process currently look like for your community? When they register do they get a nicely formatted welcome email directing them to interesting areas of the site, perhaps even a newbie welcome thread or is it simple a confirmation of their registration?

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

Thanks for replying, they already received via email this:

(Darren Gough) #4

Thanks @ale_fattorini,

So when they join they get a lengthy read telling them about the community they already joined? I’m not sure you need to do a sales piece here - you already have them as a member.

We need to be personalising the welcome, showing them how to get involved and directly them to topics or conversations of interest. Do you have a “welcome newbies” type thread?

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Oh yes, today’s weekly welcome :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #6

I see the same thing. I usually give them a week of reading (I assume that they need some time to get a feel for the place and an understanding of the culture) and then I send something along the lines of:

Hi [member],
I notice that you’re a frequent reader here but haven’t posted so I thought I’d drop you a quick note to say hi! [Something positive and personal about their community here that I get from researching them.]

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for or that I can help out with?

I’d love to hear more about what makes your community a success/what you’ve learned. If there was an appropriate topic for [something relevant to them], would you be comfortable posting in it?

I look forward to hearing form you,
Sarah.

At the very least, that generally elicits a response to me, and in some cases they jump into the public topics.

(Alessio Fattorini) #7

Awesome! So helpful! Sending personal messages to every registered user turned out too time consuming with 30 members every week and I have to admit, not so effective.
So I decided to narrow down the list and focus just on readers!

(Sarah Hawk) #8

I got somewhere near that point too, I’m sad to say. I still send personal messages but I don’t have the time to research people that I used to.

(Richard Millington) #9

I have suspected this for a while. I think it does depend on the message itself though to some degree. If this gets you 5 new members every week who become regular and active, that is a big win over 52 weeks in total activity in the community. So it really depends on what the priorities are.

Agree with @Darren_Gough though that the welcome message above is very long and a little overwhelming. I’d focus on one of two things:

1. What do you want people to do right now? Make this dead simple. Keep it updated every week etc…

2. Ask people how they want to be involved. I think this can be really sort message. i.e. “congrats you’re in, what brings you to the community? How would you like to be involved?” etc…

(Sarah Hawk) #10

I’ve learned that this is key. Our old ‘What are you working on…’ topic became so long and cumbersome that it was overwhelming for people, and I think it also felt like a token ‘post here’ thing, rather than something of relevance.

The ‘What are you working on this week’ topic seems to be much more popular.