How deal with a good member but mistrustful?

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

I see members/moderators who are really helpful with support but mistrustful about the project and community initiatives, how deal with them?

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

Depends on why they are mistrustful I guess; it is probably a wise idea to pick up the phone and ask some of them

It’s really difficult to give advice that isn’t generic without knowing the underlying cause

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

They don’t agree with your community initiatives, they said “it’s a loss of time” or “people don’t want to contribute”. Or they’re mistrutful towards the company… Something like “company uses community as marketing and contributor as unpaid volunteer but company decided the right way for the product” is it more clear now?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

If they are moderators, then they probably shouldn’t be. Your moderation team shouldn’t have to agree with every decision, but they should definitely be brand ambassadors.

If they’re members, then you have to wonder why they’re sticking around!

Are you talking about a group of people that all feel the same way, or a couple of outliers? I agree with @Bas_van_Leeuwen – often a quick phone call is the best option. It gets to the heart of the problem and makes people feel like you’re listening.

(Richard Millington) #5

Many of them probably have a good reason to be mistrustful.

Every brand community is created to benefit the brand in some way. The challenge is whether they can do that while still helping members in some way. A few things I’d suggest:

1. Be transparent with how the community helps the organisation.
  2. Give members/moderators a high degree of input in the running/management of the community.
  3. Let members know what’s coming up. Transparency here helps a lot. People can adapt to the idea and give input on it.

(Darren Gough) #6

If you follow all of the above (great) advice, and they’re still negative, it’s likely you’ll never convert them or do much right in their eyes.

Every community has these people. It’s a question of working out if they are the noisy but small minority who really aren’t worth worrying about, or whether they have influence / moderation powers to cause real damage.

My experience has taught me that if you’ve done your due diligence and done all of the above and more, they are rogue elements who aren’t worth your time or concern.

I can still name the top 10 people from MSE who drove me nuts, but actually ignoring and spending time in more useful areas caused us very little problem as other members just ignored them too.