How can I track Discourse Signups For Facebook Ad Campaigns

challenges

(James McMahon) #1

I posted on the Discourse forums, but I think I might get a better response here…

We’re about to start experimenting with running facebook ads that show our to our most popular topics to targeted (related) audiences that we do not appear to be reaching organically.

Is there any way I can check the Discourse signup rate of these particular ads to see how they are doing?

I’m not thinking of retargeting at this point. Just present the topic, have them visit and see if they signup, measure that signup rate.

I was thinking a FB tracking pixel, but I’m not sure where I would put that in a way that would track signups, or how I could add it.

Looking at my stats in Discourse, past 7 days shows 1820 anonymous API requests with 9 new users. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but it can’t hurt to make it better right?*

*Assuming we retain quality of conversations

Any other general guidance on using popular community content as a facebook “ad” welcomed.

(James McMahon) #2

Perhaps I can include the pixel in CSS somewhere?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21280586/whats-the-best-css-to-implement-a-hidden-tracking-pixel

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Calling in @Suzi_Nelson and @Nikoletta_Harrold for any input into the Facebook side of this equation.
(I can provide the necessary Discourse knowledge.)

(Suzi Nelson) #4

Pixels aren’t used to track signups, they are used for re-marketing - that means if someone clicks your signup page and DOESN’T sign up for some reason, you can show ads to that specific group of people and try to get them to come back and finish the process. Personally I have never set one up, but our VP of marketing does this all. the. time.

I believe this blog post will walk you through how to set it up (dont be confused by the title; Facebook had an “old” way of setting up a pixel, and this is the “new” way to do it). And there are calls to action in this post >

I believe this post tells you where and how to put the code on your site, but if you’re uncomfortable doing that I’m sure whoever runs your site can add it in there in about 30 seconds :wink:

If you’re look to TRACK signups, you could add a thank you page after the signup page and then track how many people landed there. That will give you your conversation rate.

(James McMahon) #5

Thanks Suzi. It sounds like I need to find a way to add a conversion goal in analytics for our discourse install as well as use campeign links in the ads.

I don’t think there’s a signup success page as such, you just go ahead and interacting with the community.

I’ll poke around and see what I can find out. I can’t imagine this is the first time this has been done.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #6

I am not a tracking expert so please take this advice with a grain of salt. I think most tracking sources will only see as far as your link takes them. So unless your link takes them to sign up page and then you use Google Analytics to see completion rate… I think you will be hard pressed to track this specific action. The other option is to consider watching your analytics to see if you have any spikes in sign ups to your community during the “ad campaign” or track a cookie / cache after their first visit if they are returning??? not quite what you want, I know.

Sorry I am of no further help.
Niki

(James McMahon) #7

What I should be able to do is apply a filter for a given campaign link in GA to see how that particular ad did in terms of time on site, #pages visited etc etc.

I think.

I’d just like to see what the signup rate is, on the discourse forums someone mentioned a “an email has been sent” page that appears after signup, if that has a discrete URL then I can set it up for a goal.

I’m probably over engineering here, but I’ll persevere anyway :blush:[quote=“Nikoletta_Harrold, post:6, topic:4732, full:true”]
I am not a tracking expert so please take this advice with a grain of salt. I think most tracking sources will only see as far as your link takes them. So unless your link takes them to sign up page and then you use Google Analytics to see completion rate… I think you will be hard pressed to track this specific action. The other option is to consider watching your analytics to see if you have any spikes in sign ups to your community during the “ad campaign” or track a cookie / cache after their first visit if they are returning??? not quite what you want, I know.

Sorry I am of no further help.
Niki
[/quote]

(Nikoletta Harrold) #8

share with us what you ended up doing and if it worked, maybe next time we will need to do the same :slight_smile:

(James McMahon) #9

Totally. Once I figure it out I’ll circle back. If not, prod me :slight_smile:

(James McMahon) #10

Figured this out by chance today while I was glancing at the “real time” analytics and the URL popped up…
To track discourse signups in Google Analytics, set a URL goal of “/users/account-created”

That seems to do the trick.

(Nick Lawson) #11

@James_McMahon in case you never got an answer for this/anyone else wants to know, I am currently tracking sign up conversions from Facebook Ads.

On your discourse use the customize console to put the pixel code in the section.

Then in FB ad manager, go to custom conversions from the menu, and click ‘create custom conversion’. Choose the pixel you just installed, and use URL contains: “account-created”. Now you’ll get conversion data every time someone hits the account created page.

Let me know if you get stuck.

(James McMahon) #12

Hey Nick. Sorry it’s been so long since I signed in. I have a FB pixel setup as well as GA and Piwik. Did you find that you got consistent results with that setup?

The problem I found is that the account-created URL only seems to be triggered with an email signup. If a user signed up via FB or another Oauth service it seems the visitor doesnt get directed to that URL.

I’ve been unable to find a reliable way to track signups. Which is a shame because I’d really like to know what their “journey” is.

(Nick Lawson) #13

That’s a really good call out.

I’ve always wondered why GA/FB data was lower than actuals, but this must be why.

One semi work around would be to use Google Tag Manager to create a conversion event for when someone clicks the create account button, at the bottom of the sign up details box. This would be a more accurate way of tracking in GA, but not sure how you would replicate this for FB - my JS isn’t that good.

(James McMahon) #14

I’ll look into that. I’m not dead set on just using FB, really anything will do at this point, and GA makes more sense given I think our traffic is about 40 organic and 60 social