How are you measuring the value that your members are getting?

challenges

(Nick Emmett) #1

Focussing on the value in your community is an important shift from solely focussing on engagement.
How do you measure the value that people are getting from your community?

Is it by simply measuring against your strategic goals and objectives? My initial thought is not necessarily - they’re probably not specifically targetting value for members, rather that is a side effect.

I’m interested in what people are doing currently doing and what people’s thoughts are on how to handle this.

We have a support type community that has almost doubled in size in the last 3-4 months due to the migration of a large amount of content from another customer facing site we used to have. What I want to do is be able to see what sort of value people are actually getting. I have my own ideas about what they’re getting but how do you really know.

I realise there’s an obvious answer here in asking them - but wondered if you guys were doing anything else.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Our primary community is opensource/support so the value for our members is in getting the right answer to their question as quickly as possible. While we don’t actually measure anything at all, I think that if we did, time to correct answer would be indicative of the value for members. That doesn’t take into account the people that find the answer to their question before they ask it.

(Cathy Liu) #3

I also run a support external community, and we definitely measure how fast the members reach to correct answer and utilize that metric to communicate with our support team for possible improvement.

(Nick Emmett) #4

Thanks guys, and who/how is the “correct” answer determined in your communities?

I’m also thinking about the number of people who visit our communities and don’t necessarily engage but get value (hopefully) by lurking, or searching for content.

For example, in our community, we have video tutorials, e-learning, help documentation, knowledge articles as well as our discussion areas. I’m getting more and more in to deciphering the metrics in our search console but it’s hard to know how much actually helped and provided value.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

The OP can mark the question as solved.

(Richard Millington) #6

That works well in a lot of the Lithium communities, the challenge I suspect is what percentage of OPs actually do that? You could easily miss out on a low of value there.

It might work better as a hybrid solution whether both admins and community members mark discussions as solved or unsolved.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Yup, that is how it works :slight_smile:

(Cathy Liu) #8

Yes in Jive community, correct answers are marked by subject matter experts (usually my support engineers) and community members who are able to resolve the issue by following the correct answer.

(Richard Millington) #9

That seems close to ideal.

Do you have any processes in place for updating old answers? We’ve had this with clients in the past.

(Cathy Liu) #10

For old questions that haven’t been marked or answered the Community Manager needs to manualy marking “assumed answered” after 2-3 weeks. Not ideal… the challenge is always trying to minimize these unanswered questions. Welcome any advice to improve the process.

(Richard Millington) #11

Ah, thanks for the response. I meant the answered questions from 1+ years
ago, how do you manage to keep them up to date?

(Cathy Liu) #12

Some 1+ year-old questions are still relevant as the questions are mainly pretty technical and using keywords/tags some 1+ questions still pop out in search. Jive does a good job with SEO as keywords of the discussion are incorporated in the URL. Hope that answer your question. Definitely I am interested to hear from other community managers how they deal with 1+ year-old questions.

(Richard Millington) #13

@cathyjliu thanks for that.

One of the challenge we’ve had with SaaS communities in the past is that a great answer today might be out of date a year from now.

So how do we develop systems to keep those answers up to date.

(Cathy Liu) #14

It is a great question! My guess is that I need my engineers and support to do a periodic check on technical documents such as Best Practices and knowledge articles to be sure the information is up to date. I know from other community, the questions are automatically archived after two years. However, that is a more e-commerce (consumer forum). For technical forum and towards enterprise products, I am not sure what is the best system yet.